Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Predator b UAV build 1/5 scale rc

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Predator b UAV build 1/5 scale rc

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 12:01 PM
FLYBABY6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Predator b UAV build 1/5 scale rc

more progress more sanding nearing completion of the top
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58250.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1055634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74197.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1055635  
Old 10-20-2008, 12:03 PM
FLYBABY6

Done!!! need to fill in small holes and cracks from the drywall drying and not being able to sand deeper in spots, but it's now ready for touch ups, and on to the first layers of glass. And more sanding till I get the thing perfectly smooth... more to come.....

Name:	Nl29471.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1055636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83096.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	1055637  
Old 10-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Lownverted
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking good. What airfoil are you using?
Old 10-22-2008, 11:24 AM
FLYBABY6

By asking what airfoil, I assume you are aking wing shape( profile of ribs)? If so than it's a shape I created myself, though knowing how thick the wings were from base to tip on the drawing, then got the lengths from the drawings, and the widths, and put those in then connected the dots to come up with what I have. Basicaly flat bottom, and from the pics the shape of what I could see in those pics,and typical shape. Is that what you mean?
Old 10-22-2008, 11:37 AM
FLYBABY6

wow what i just posted made no since to me after reading it. the wings are like this: As you see from the side view of the wing base on the plug, the shape from wing base to wing tip is the same just diferent ratio's, as it gets smaller to the tip, except where the wing does this wierd bend( real plane's disign) and then its the same size ribs to the tip( about 6 ribs) Basicaly a powered glider with flat bottom wings instead of semetrical on top and bottom like most glider wings. The 3-view pic I used showed this to a point, and actual pics gave me a better view. So there you have it.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Lownverted

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gotcha..thanks.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:10 PM
FLYBABY6

Yea, must have been dropped too many times as a kid.. I can't explain or teach worth a crap..[:@]
Old 10-27-2008, 12:22 PM
FLYBABY6

Getting the resin and 19 mesh fiberglass on the first, and will slap it on the top half of the plane. I've been thinking, since this plane only resimbles a predator-b, And is so much fatter, I will probubly call it something else when done. I think it looks like a goose, so it will probubly be named "Glass Goose" like the spruce goose but its made out of firber/carbon glass so.... why not.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:42 PM
FLYBABY6

Getting realy cold in Oklahoma( for me anyway) , and have to do some fall organizing in the house. Clearing out one room in my house to dedicate to the build. So again-delays!![:@] But after I get the benches and shelves made I can resume... More to follow
Old 10-30-2008, 04:30 AM
John Mason

This Oklahoma weather is unforgiving one day it will be 80 and the next 40. The predator looks really good man. I cant wait to start on mine. As soon as the router is done I will begin cutting. Just curious what resin are you using and where did you get it and you're cloth?
Keep up the good work,
John
Old 10-30-2008, 08:51 AM
FLYBABY6

Tinker ha? been there too.. Havent purchaced the resin/cloth yet. Building the work benches now. But there is a suplier here in town I've found and I will see what they do have. When I make the final desision, I'll post it, and mabe you will have the same store there in OKC, and can try it out too. Had watched your post for a while, hope to see your progress too.. good luck.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:12 PM
CastorTroy2150
My Feedback: (10)

Following this thread, you definately have some talent going on here as well as a killer build. Keep up the great work, I would even like to talk about buying an airframe from you when the time comes, this hobby is a sickness isnt it. I just recently got into the foam cutting and building , would love to be able to cut parts and such like you, dont have a cutter like you do. Anyhoo good work and great thread cant wait for more pics!
Old 11-03-2008, 03:36 AM
John Mason

I have been working on the cad drawings for my own predator and have a few questions/concerns about your design. There is some conflicting info about the WS of the full size bird. Depending on where you look it is either 86' or 66'. Now what I can tell is that the base model the military uses is the 66' WS while the modified nasa design has a 86' WS. According to the dimensions of your build you are building the 86' one to put the 1/5 scale fuselage size at 72" and a ws of 168". I have been designing mine around the 66' ws which would put me at a fuse length of about 90" and a ws of 160". Im curious about the differences about the two. Just wanted to know if you were aware. In my opinion the 66' ws would be a better option due to the fact that you can get a bigger model in the same ws as a 1/5 scale version of the 86' ws one. Also will you be molding a composite wing or are you going the built up route?
Keep up the good work! John
[link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MQ-9_Reaper]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MQ-9_Reaper[/link] 66' ws

"The Altair technology-demonstration variant for NASA is designed to carry an equivalent payload for as long as 32 hours at up to 52,000 feet. Eleven-foot extensions will be added to each wingtip, giving the Altair an overall wingspan of 86 feet with an aspect ratio of 23.5. It also will be powered by the TPE-331-10 turboprop engine, and is also expected to begin flight tests in the spring of 2002."
Old 11-03-2008, 09:58 AM
CastorTroy2150

Hey Flybaby,
Once you get your parts all planed and cut out is there any way you would be willing to send me a set, Trying to get a winter build going(actually a few hahahaha) would like the airframe parts so I can build it up. If not that is cool, and if not do you ever plan on selling any kits? Really looking into getting a UAV but dont like what is on the market, cant find anything but arfs.Thanks

Pete
Old 11-03-2008, 01:29 PM
FLYBABY6

ok.. Um First of all thanks you guys for the complements!!!! And two, I could sell the birds as they come out of the molds. Though I would hope you would want to see that it actuely flies first! Hell, this is the first time I've attempted to make r/c plane molds! And In reguards to selling the sucker as a kit in which to build as I originaly did with all the ribs and such I already cut out which You can see from the pics on the first page, I can't. I saw how many pieces there are and the time it took to get it all glued and that is when I realised that one little crash would F@#k up my world. Thats why it went from a built up balsa plane to the now plugs for molding. If the sucker crashes or a piece breaks, than I always have a quick replacement(s). Everything will be fiber/carbon. No built up wings or tail pieces. Everything will be easily replaceable through molds. Now as far as which predator-NASA/ AIR FORCE, version I went with for size, I went with the 3 view of the NASA plane for the extra lift from larger wings. Now there are so many varients of it in the military and civil, that the fus was a conglomerate of what I wanted personaly. I wanted a smooth bubble on the nose top and bottom. I wanted the thing to not be so nearly flat on the bottom of the fuse-for more space and cylinder like. And I made the engine compartment fatter as well as the fuse girth to hold any gear. The engine area in back has to accomidate up to a 50cc gaser, and so I enlarged that also for height, width, and length inside. But this is also why I said it's semi-scale not true scale. And because it has so many different aspects to the shape from the real ones why I will name it a "Goose". Not Predator B. Though I guess it could be a Predator-G?! Any way hope that answeres more questions, if I hadn't already written it before. Also John Mason, I invite you to come see it first hand if you'd like! Mabe it could help you visualise what you are doing/ could do with yours. Oh, also, on DIY Drones, when I was there I had alot of people wanting one of these, and I was realy into mass producing these then, but as I once anounced then, I'd try to keep it under $500 or so as an ARF, or kit, or complete if one was so inclined. Have a great day guys.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:15 PM
John Mason

Now there are so many varients of it in the military and civil, that the fus was a conglomerate of what I wanted personaly.
I hear ya on that one. It seems like every picture I look at is different. Drawing the parts in cad is driving me crazy
Old 11-03-2008, 03:51 PM
CastorTroy2150

Flybaby,
Sounds great, cant wait to see the final, do you plan on putting panel lines and the like on here? Also, Do you plan on fitting retracts, the ARF models aroundjsut look goofy with the huge gear hanging down and wot. With a ship this large I though it may be an option, Anyhoo, looking forward to more pics of your build!!
Old 11-03-2008, 05:08 PM
FLYBABY6

Yup, I will put pannel lines I deem nessasary(sp?). Mainly to mark for the cutting of the access holes-I.E. removable top on the nose, center of fus, top of engine bay, e.t.c.... Also for the servos in the wings...um.. have it written down somewhere.[:@] I started a long time ago at the beginning of the build wanting truely scale retracts. But realizing that the plane wasnt going to be truely scale, I changed my thinking.Found a company that would make them close enough, but not enough, and they wanted @$1000 for the whole thing. Sorry, again-crashes=loss of money=not happy. So since I work at a FAA repair station/machine shop, I designed some my self to machine in house with springs instead of ohlio struts, but it looked damn neer identical to the real thing.. Still, it's still in the computer, and not made yet. How ever the first one out of the mold will have ugly sticks with rolling things on them just to roll out and landing. After that, I was thinking about the gear I've designed, or on from 1/4-1/5 scale F-16!!!!!! Would look great, and function! still-@$800 for the whole thing there too. I'll make up my mind when that time comes.. And yea, I have a crap load of pics saved on the computer, and printed out of the real planes. They almost all are of a different variatiopn, subtle, but still different.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:57 PM
FLYBABY6

Sorry to those following the progress, but no new news of the build. It has set where I left it last. Am hurrying to build a 10'x20' shed outside to clear out the 3rd bedroom to be used as my build room( it's getting cold!). And when finished build another for the animals. Then Start on the 3rd room's shelves again, and put all into motion again. Still hoping for a spring finish time frame.... more later
Old 11-14-2008, 03:28 AM
John Mason

Hey man sorry I have not given you a call. Uncle sam has kept me pretty busy the past week and upcoming weekend. But I plan to head up there soon. In other new I have been drinking tons of coffee (as most of my posts are way after midnight) and burning it up in autocad trying to get all the pieces designed for my bird. I plan to cut all the pieces out of 1" blue foam then shape them to the piece in front or aft of it.

Name:	Vt57077.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	1071825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21688.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	1071826  
Old 11-14-2008, 11:29 AM
FLYBABY6

Looks like a plan! And pieing the pieces out of 1" will be alot cheaper than trucking in 2" sheets, and its at the local Lowes!. I once saw a boat mold made in this fasion, and it worked out great. Yup uncle sam calls and you haven't a choice. I understand the latenight design projects[&o]..lol.. How's the router comming? Our company is looking into getting one here as a mater of fact! Its like 10'x15' and would come in handy if I needed to cut out r/c parts!!( though not its intended use... Keep up the work, looking good!
Old 11-16-2008, 11:33 PM
GenesisFactor

YEAH BOY!!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 04:39 PM
FLYBABY6

you funny... yup still building shedes at the moment, and havent done a thing to the plane.. mabe soon !!!![:@] oh dyer: have been thinking of a case in which to hold the plane and transport it safely... have designed the foam cutout for the inside and outer demention, all I need to do is make a huge plug to lay kevlar over to have a military style case for the plane.. p.m.-me on that..
Old 12-02-2008, 09:10 AM
FLYBABY6

been along time since i've been online!! Just finished with the first 10'x 20' shed outside. And have started on the second 10'20' for the animals(with heat and air).... Doubting my projected finish time of spring!!!???!!! building this crap on my free time, and alone is proving a slow process. But the "Goose" is sitting patiently..
Old 12-03-2008, 11:50 PM
miak69

HI,

Love what you have done so far with the project. I am looking at doing something similar myself, however, I am unsure of how to design the frame. What program did you use to do this?

Thanks

Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.