Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Scale Wing Attach Method? Volksplane VP-1

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Scale Wing Attach Method? Volksplane VP-1

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 01:59 PM
VP1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scale Wing Attach Method? Volksplane VP-1

Hi guys,
I'm in the process of drawing up 30% plans for a Volksplane VP-1. I have the full scale plans so I'm basically just scaling them down. I'm attempting to figure out how to also do a scale wing attaching method but am unsure as to whether the original method will be feasable once scaled down. Let me attempt to describe how the wings attach on the full scale-

There are two spars in each wing- a front and rear spar. Each spar is sandwiched by two metal plates at the root which bolt to the root of the spar and then extend into the fuselage. The plates then sandwich a bulkhead in the fuselage and are attached to the bulkhead by a pin (5/16" bolt). This is done for all four spars. The wing then has a strut attached to each spar approx 1/3 out from the root of the wing which connects to the top of the same bulkhead that the root of each spar does. It essentially works like your standard Cessna wing except turned upside down. Low wing, strut on top in compression instead of strut on bottom in tension like a Cessna.

I'm really trying to keep this aspect to scale instead of just doing what most non scale models do which is just cut an airfoil shape in the bottom of the fuselage and make a wing saddle.

I am unsure if the plates and struts would scale down ok. It seems like a lot of stuff going on in a small space.
I am open to making the wing cantilever by having some sort of stub spars extending out from the fuselage but I really don't want to start moving the bulkheads around and losing the scaleness of the design.

Any thoughts on this? What do other scale designs do for this?
Thanks, Todd
Old 10-08-2008, 02:20 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Scale Wing Attach Method? Volksplane VP-1

No reason it shouldn't work. Go to McMasterCarr http://www.mcmaster.com/ for a good selection of bolts. Guessing, you will probably need #10, or #12 shoulder screws. Use the largest dia. CF tube you can find for the compression struts. K&S (which has displays in most LHS's) sells airfoiled aluminum tube for dressing the outside of the struts.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:26 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your best bet is to build it like the full scale if that is what you are after. Just take your time. Now if you were building a Tiny Two, the fuse-wing joint is fixed and the outboard panels are removable. Flying rudder and elevator should make it interesting.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:38 AM
Smokin Cap
My Feedback: (49)

VP-1,

Im getting ready to start a kit that I found here on RCU about a year ago, it is 1/4 scale VP-1 with an 83" WS. Im planning on having a Saito 90 twin (old school with dual carbs) engine for power. Im gonna have it in the same scheme as my Dad has his (real VP-1) back in the early 70's. He actually built it in our house at the time when I was a little kid.

Ken