Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

help with scratch build

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:03 PM
traxxaspede

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with scratch build

i don't know the name or who made the plans, but i downloaded these plans off the internet and I'm gonna build the plane. my dad going to print out the planes on 34 inch paper, which would make them very close to 1:1. its originally designed for a .049/.051 cox teedee engine, but i want to convert it to electric not sure what the weight is, but any recommendations for electric motor/esc? also i need suggestion to what servos, linkage, covering material, rudder conversion (its only aileron/elevator)? also any other help with planes if you guys htink they look unclear (like servo mounts? what kind of battery should i use? looks like its about 28 inches long, with 32 inch wingspan. also, where can i get those materials (is pop ply poplar?) are cloth hinges ok? because i already have some, but i might need more, what kind should i get? it says laminated ply, what do i use to laminate, or do i buy ply already made? i also want better landing gear for ground takeoffs, what should i make that out of. anyone have some dimensions? what prop/spinner should i use. will any 4ch micro reciver do, any suggestions? (spektrum makes no difference to me, however, i do need a radio tx, so any suggestions would be nice, and i would prefer a computer radio, or maybe 6 channels for other models). if anyone has bilt one before, could you post some pics?

heres the link to the plan

http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/glh.pdf

pic?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Hf98415.pdf (211.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Dsegal

Default RE: help with scratch build

It seems to me that this plan presents you with too many unknowns. There are many good electric kits available which will contain answers to the kinds of questions you are raising and which will let you get into the air much more quickly.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:47 PM
traxxaspede

i know it does, but i think it would be a good learning experience
Old 10-21-2008, 08:11 AM
Dsegal

Here is my suggestion for a fast little electric. See Radical RC's E-Hornet at http://www.radicalrc.com/shop/?shop=...3857&cat=190&/ It is one hot little rocket. A review is available a the E-Zone.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:32 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ACE kitted it years ago, great flier, real fast with the .049 setup, stands for "Goes Like Heck"= GLH
Old 10-21-2008, 01:05 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

1st, if you take that plan to a blueprint shop, and tell them you want it at 100%, it will come out true scale. Kinko's may be able to do it. I have had it done there, but I had to walk them through it.

It seem very simple, but as someone said before there is not a lot of info for a first time builder. I could build from them, but I have done some from my own design, and know how to fill in the gaps. You may be able to do it. Build it in your head first, and come here with specific questions.

For power I would suggest a 2-3 cell lipo, and a 1000-1200 kVa motor.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:07 PM
traxxaspede

ok thanks, i keep thinking of it as a tiny plane, but its not really that small (30? inch wingspan) my dad should be home soon with the plans, and then i can get a shopping list for the balsa and stuff. would any micro servos work? im guessing that they would. and are standard servos too big for a plane of this size?

im not sure if ill even be able to get it in the air, but im sure ill have alot of fun building it. i already build a small glider, about 24 inch wingspan and 15 inches long. i had no plans at all and it came out pretty good. i dont really fly it thogh, its too delicate.