Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Sandwich techinique on building wings

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Sandwich techinique on building wings

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 11:11 AM
Carlos Et

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sandwich techinique on building wings

Hi guys,
I`d like to know if there`s someone who`s ever built a sandwiched wing using foam and some composite material covering the foam.
Please send me some tips about this building techinique.
Old 05-27-2003, 03:42 PM
Cdallas2

2 pieces of bread and some meat in between.

Sorry I had to.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:49 PM
Al Stein

It's a pretty simple process... the key is to use just enough resin to wet the cloth.

The old-fashioned way is to smooth the fiberglass (or other cloth over the bottom of your wing panel... people also use anything from polyester fabric to brown paper to kevlar or carbon fiber cloth or mat), then mix up some epoxy (no polyester: polyester eats styrene foam)... drizzle the epoxy onto an area and squegee it out as far as you can (squeegee with a playing card, a credit card, or a glazing sqeegee for autobody)... then let it dry, trim, and do the other side, wrapping over onto to bottom... fill the roughness of the weave with lightweight filler, and sand very smooth.

The new-fashioned way is to apply the cloth to a mylar sheet, add some other neat stuff, and vacuum bag it all to get an really nice finish... I don't want to go into the details because you can just look them up on the web by searching for "vacuum bagging"

Is this what you're looking to learn about?