Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Does anyone use CorelDraw for plans?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Does anyone use CorelDraw for plans?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 03:38 PM
w0mbat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone use CorelDraw for plans?

I have been using CorelDraw for the past 10 years for graphic design. I want to design a few planes and was wondering if anyone is using CorelDraw rather than a strictly cad program and if it is accurate enough for making plans.
Old 03-18-2002, 04:30 PM
bluesky123
My Feedback: (2)

I'm also a big fan of CorelDRAW. I've been using it in academia to prepare all the pictures for scientific publications. I's way more intuitive than any CAD program I've tried.
Unfortunately, CorelDRAW is limited to 2D drawings (they used to have some 3D modeling in I earlier versions, but it was way too primitive, so, they've dropped it). I couldn't find a simple way to scale the pictures for printing (may be I haven't looked hard enough?).
I've seen some drawings on the net made in CorelDRAW.
Old 03-19-2002, 10:25 AM
toobo

A friend used it to create cnc-files (HPGL), but he draw the plans with FREEHAND and exported it to CD. I think these two programs are quite simular, and accurate enough to make in wood.
Old 10-27-2002, 12:55 AM
druid

Default plans in corel

I have used the CorelDraw to open plans made in CAD, or still to print plans in JPG or GIF. As I do not know to draw plans , I cannot give my opinion how much to this .
I have some plans in coreldraw now.
Old 10-27-2002, 02:57 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It's been quite a while since I did anything with Corel draw but as a very happy TurboCAD user I can't remember Corel having most of the tools I would like for doing my drawings.

Of course anything is possible with enough time. It IS a graphics package after all. But I would guess that it would take you a lot more effort to do so. But then if you're comfy with Corel and don't know jack about CAD then the learning curve would get in the way for a fair while.
Old 10-27-2002, 07:40 AM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Corel

Thats all I use for cad. I do vectoring for Lazer-Works and thats all I use. I also have all my plans scanned in with a large format scanner and besides vectoring the parts I plan on tracing the entire plans and then use the vectors to alter my planes to different versions. I find it 100 times easier than cad and just as powerful as most cad programs. The only thing I wished Corel had was a Diminsion feature like autocad.

Joe
Old 10-27-2002, 08:36 AM
Merlin65

Hi Prof,
What version are you using?
My Corel 9 has full dimension tools.
--
Merlin
Old 10-27-2002, 04:04 PM
ProfLooney

Default corel

I have Corel 10 I havent been able to find DImension tools maybe I am looking in the wrong place. I also have never been able to get auto trace to work right either hehe i guess i should read the book but you know how that goes.

Joe
Old 10-28-2002, 01:26 AM
Merlin65

Joe,
Try the attached pic.

Auto trace is meant for very basic bitmaps like circles, squares etc.
It's better to use Corel Trace for complex stuff. The results depend mainly on how well you prepare the image to be vectorized.

I regularly use traced raster scans for templates, hatches, panels markings etc.
--
Merlin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	32687_4297.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	4491  
Old 10-28-2002, 02:05 AM
ProfLooney

Default trace

Thanks Merlin will give it a try I was meaning corel trace to see if it will trace a set of plans. I have them in Tiff format. Right now I like to trace by hand because most raster vector programs give you a bunch of little short lines you have to connect to make it continous and easy to work with. One of the better ones I have used is called Scan Vector but I found out it is a lot faster to trace it myself rather than spend hours fixing up the auto trace. But do you know where the dimensioning tool is?

Joe
Old 10-28-2002, 02:21 AM
Merlin65

Joe,
Agree entirely about tracing by hand. For the accuracy required to cut parts this is the only way to go. For the panel lines etc. the traced image is quite acceptable and basically saves measuring and drawing on the airframe. Less errors too.

As far as where the dimension tools are, did you look at the picture attachment I posted? You have me confused now
--
Merlin
Old 10-28-2002, 02:29 AM
ProfLooney

Default dimension

Duh ok i saw it i had just copied it hadnt had a chance to look at it. OK I will have to customize my menu toolbar as I dont have it on mine but at least I know what icon to look for.

again thanks
Joe
Old 10-28-2002, 02:41 AM
Merlin65

Joe,
If you hold the mouse button down there should be a flyout which contains the Dim tool. There shouldn't be any need to customize the toolbars.

It's worth noting that if you carefully adjust the settings in Coreltrace and scan by centreline the result is very close to being as good as hand tracing. Happy to compare settings at any time
--
Merlin

P.S. Attached is a traced drawing which was loaded into Corel and dimensioned. Easily good enough to lay over the plans to see if the engine fits.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	32704_4297.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	4492  
Old 12-13-2002, 12:23 AM
wjf2

Corel draw is the perfered cad software for the ULS laser machine. I am using Corel 10 to drive a 2X600 laser machine. The only way to go.

Thanks
WJF2
Old 12-18-2002, 02:53 AM
races

Guys, i`m a beginner, i bought an Avistar plane and i crashed, the fuselage had minor damages (well , so, so) and the Wings more less, a big problem......Can anyone help me sending me a file with plans in order to build my wings, , suggestions are welcomed,,, [email protected] Thanks in advance...