Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Cessna Crane ( T50, Bobcat)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 05:55 PM
multimike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cessna Crane ( T50, Bobcat)

It was well worth the effort to design and build, the first flight was hairy, tail heavy, 10 oz in the nose turned it into a real ***** cat, I dont think there is anything more beautiful than a twin warbird with both engines "singing: in sync MIke
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52939.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	1086836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97852.gif
Views:	168
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1086837  
Old 12-09-2008, 06:00 PM
multimike

Default RE: Cessna Crane ( T50, Bobcat)

OOOPa I forgot to check the notify box MIke
Old 12-09-2008, 06:13 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nice, plenty of servo room i see.

david
Old 12-09-2008, 06:18 PM
multimike

Yep!! They are mounted under what would be eeh back seat and do look tiny in there LOL Mike
Old 12-09-2008, 07:53 PM
zipman
My Feedback: (22)

Mike,

Real nice Mike. How about some specs, scale size, weight, engines? What 3 view did you use for your build ? Does it have retracts ?

Some of us are trying to get a build thread started in the Twin and multi-engine forum based on the 1964 RCM plans for a 1/8th scale model. Come join us and share you experience with this plane. Thanks.

Have many sucessful flights.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:14 PM
multimike

I used the article and drawings by Bob Morse and Mearle HIckman for a UC 78, I made it slightly to 72 inches to give me lighter wing loading, I will check out your forum Mike
Old 12-09-2008, 08:34 PM
zipman

Thanks Mike,

Yes those were the guys that did the 1964 plans for RCM. Wow your plane looks bigger that 72 in span. Yeh, check out the following threads and tell us your DOs and DON'Ts on this subject.

Best regards
Old 12-09-2008, 08:37 PM
zipman

Forgot the links

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8149799/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8159836/tm.htm
Old 12-10-2008, 07:30 AM
ali hamad

hey

very nice one

is it from BALSA Woods

anyway great plane

best wishes
Old 12-10-2008, 11:58 AM
multimike

The main fuse frame is built with spruce dowling, balsa and plywood for the rest of it Mike
Old 05-23-2012, 11:50 PM
flying dinosaur

A longtime friend and builder and I are now starting a 1/4 scale Cessna Bobcat project. Everything works great at 1/4 scale - cowls,scale size hardware all available. Some of the stuff requires a bit of modification, but not a lot.. Specs: 126" span, scale airfoils root to tip, radials, scale mains,tail yoke, wheels and tires. Unfortunately, I suppose,the radials will be 5 cyl engines - I'd have to get a 2nd mortgage to afford two of the Robart 7 cyl copies of the original "Shakey Jakes", even if you could find them. We have the engines, cowls, scaled up prints for the plane and gear, tail yoke, wheels, tires,and most of the various necessary radio stuff. The main gear is being fabricated from steel tube - light and stronger than aluminum in small sizes. Shooting for around 45 lb. asmostof the weight is right around the center section. Spars (both) will be aluminum.The plane will use a power expander box as I don't like putting something this heavy, and expensive, in the air without systems redundancy. I like the yellow for a color scheme but was wondering if anyone knows of, or could pointus to, some scale documentation for other color schemes. If you have any info like this, please let me know.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:20 AM
multimike

WOW!! What a fantastic project,the only problems I had with mine is that because it is so short coupled that it took a lot of weight in the nose to balance it and it was very pitch sensitive requiring very little elevator travel, I also discovered , to my dismay, that if you making an approach , with flaps down, keep the power up, there is lots of drag and it just stops flying, I found lots of pictures of paint jobs on he web good luck Mike
Old 05-24-2012, 12:42 PM
flying dinosaur

Mike - Understand the 'tail heavy" concept very well (ask me how I know - flying models since the 50's). This plane will have 2 engines which are nearly 7 lbs each, including the exhaust rings,hanging on the front with scale retracts also out in front of the CG. .Associated itmes such asglow driver unitsandattendant engine batteries will beup near the firewalls as well.Flight batteries will be in the nose too. Most construction is from lite-ply. with aircraft grade ply cap strips for the wing leading edges and planked areasWe may actually have to add a small amount of weight in the tail if shifting the batteries in the accesible space doesn't work. Cowls are 11" dia units from Fiberglass Specialties with duplicates in back of those for the front of the nacelles. 6" wheels with moon type disc centers, scale tires. alloy tail wheel and yoke bracket. Engines are ASP 400, 5 cyl (65cc) radials swinging 22X10's. Haven't decided on brand but Biela makes a very scale looking prop (no "display" props on this plane). I'll post photos as it progresses. This is a long term project for sure. A.J.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:07 PM
flying dinosaur

The cowls for the 1/4 scale Bobcat have arrived and the engines are agood fit - just hides the rocker boxes. Dave printed out the wing root and tip airfoils (different airfoils) with the WingMaster program.. Root chord is over 26 inches.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Mike James

For those of you who are T-50 fans, here are a couple of good references:

Terry Sullivan's site, supporting his own restorations as well as friends: http://www.cessnat50.org/

My article on building a scale T-50 in 3D (image attached) http://www.mikejamesmedia.com/cessna_t50_01.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52277.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1770964  
Old 06-10-2012, 05:49 PM
flying dinosaur

Mike - Your project and MultiMike's [pictured] model were the inspiration for our own project. It is defintely a lot of work but this thing is basically a b-i-g model airplane and the 1/4 scale dimensions work out just right for commercially available accessories. This is arguably the easiest big scale twin to build - fabric covered so no extreme detail there and single rudder, fixed tailwheel, no counter rotating engines, 2 blade props, etc. The cowls are just slightly large, by 1/4" but 1/8" per side is very hard to notice. The gear will be similar to your drawings but not powered by a chain and centrally located electric motor as the complexity (and strength) is not within reasonable limits. The gear will be scale in framework construction but servo actuated through linkage and the motors will be 5 cylinder, not seven, as I haven't won the lottery yet ! It is possible they will retain the scale oil leakage rate (scale drip pans?). As I said, it is a long term project but we'll be posting photos as we go if anyone is interested.
Seeing as we kind of highjacked MultiMike's thread, we'll be starting a new one soon. I just thought it would add to MM's posts so a few more people would view his excellent craftsmanship.