Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Design Case Study - Bombardier Global Express - OPINIONS PLEASE

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Design Case Study - Bombardier Global Express - OPINIONS PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 11:30 PM
tasesq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Design Case Study - Bombardier Global Express - OPINIONS PLEASE

Hi Everyone,

Firstly Happy New Year! Thanks for all who have helped me over the last 12 months!

I have completed a basic dimensional case study for the design of a global express. I welcome all opinions please!!!

1. The scale was based around a choice between a Dyn-e-max fan (electric dynamax conversion) or a 90mm EDF fan.
2. I think the 90mm is the better option, as it provides a smaller airframe (approx 2m wingspan). The Dynamax lead to a 3m wingspan)
3. The smaller fan leads to smaller wing thicknesses - the smallest thickness was about 1.13cm out near the aileron centres. I could probably get a little more thickness by moving the servo in board, and moving the surface via a 45 degree hidden linkage.
4. All other thicknesses seem reasonable i think.

The BIG QUESTION is - What weight will the airframe end up and will the 90mm fan give enough thrust for this?

If anyone can help, here are my ideas for construction; a plug made from 3 views / CAD models, then figreglass fuselage with a few ply formers for strength. The wing will probably be built up / sheeted / glassed due to the internal requirements (slat actuators, flap actuators, and ailerson servos etc).

I can't upload the design study as a pdf file, so i will put it in the next post!

Thanks all for your input, and happy new year!
Old 12-29-2008, 11:39 PM
tasesq

Default RE: Design Case Study - Bombardier Global Express - OPINIONS PLEASE

OOPS! Turns out you can upload PDF files!!! Oh well.

Here it is in PDF format, as all the numbers were jumbled when I pasted them in in text.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Bz79188.pdf (54.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 12-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Adibac

Default RE: Design Case Study - Bombardier Global Express - OPINIONS PLEASE

IMHO. Your main problem as stated in your big question is weight..... A balsa sheeted fuse will be lighter than fiberglass, There is a beautiful Turbine powered Learjet 35 built by someone in Europe, that was a great flyer, so it is just a matter of keeping it light and it will fly..