Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Wing rib lofting

Old 03-21-2002, 01:40 AM
Jim B.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing rib lofting

Can anyone out there give me input on how they decide what rib design to loft for any given scratch built design? I am currently designing a Macchi 202 and have used the actual wing rib scale drawings to compare with a table of NACA coordinates, then I plan to loft these with Compufoil. Does anyone else do this? Should I adapt them in any way for my 1/5 scale?
Old 03-21-2002, 02:30 AM
Mike James

Default Airfoils and scale

I don't think there's a hard a fast answer for this. That aircraft, at 1/5th scale, will probably do fine with scale airfoils.

Many scale builders insist on using scale airfoils (I do) as a matter of accuracy. There are "issues" with Reynolds numbers, when scaling down airfoils, but with the scale models I've built, nothing tragic so far.
Old 03-21-2002, 05:39 AM
CoosBayLumber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problem, Maybe

That scaling down of real airfoils to model doesn't always work.

I have gone through the loops to find airfoil numbers from old magazines, and then had an equally hard time in locating coordinates for it, only to find the scaled down version is too thin. There is insufficient thickness for currently available model A/C retractable landing gear. Model A/C airfoils seem to be a bit thicker, and thus provide the clearances necessary for all the hardware and frame involved with the gear. We had a scaled down airfoil last year which at it's thickest point was not quite one inch, surface to surface. How dow you stuff a L.G bracket which is 1-1/4 inch high into that?

Wm.
Old 04-12-2002, 09:35 PM
BentBalsa
My Feedback: (9)

Default Macchi 202

Jim B

Macchi 202 1/5 scale?

Is a already produced kit and plans, in case you did'nt know
( I have one )

Thanks
JR
Old 04-13-2002, 11:48 PM
Jim B.

Default Wing rib lofting

To "Bentbalsa"
Thanks - I am aware of this. I prefer to start with a blank sheet of paper when beginning a new project, otherwise I feel I'm building someone else's airplane. The travelling is much more rewarding than the destination itself.
Old 04-14-2002, 02:24 PM
wd40
My Feedback: (81)

Default Macchi 202

I would like to find a set of plans for this plane can you help me out . I would like to find the in 1/5 scale.
Old 04-14-2002, 09:20 PM
BentBalsa
My Feedback: (9)

Default Plans

Hi
wd40

[email protected]

has been corrected
JR
Old 01-15-2007, 07:53 AM
JetNoise

Default RE: Problem, Maybe

ORIGINAL: CoosBayLumber

That scaling down of real airfoils to model doesn't always work.

I have gone through the loops to find airfoil numbers from old magazines, and then had an equally hard time in locating coordinates for it, only to find the scaled down version is too thin. There is insufficient thickness for currently available model A/C retractable landing gear. Model A/C airfoils seem to be a bit thicker, and thus provide the clearances necessary for all the hardware and frame involved with the gear. We had a scaled down airfoil last year which at it's thickest point was not quite one inch, surface to surface. How dow you stuff a L.G bracket which is 1-1/4 inch high into that?

Wm.
This is quite simple really, you build a SCALE undercarriage for your SCALE aircraft. Other wise it is not scale is it. []

Dale