Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

wood used in ARFs

Old 02-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Campgems

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wood used in ARFs

A while back, I ran into an article describing the wood used in some ARFs as a balsa replacement. The article gave a link to a site you could buy the wood from. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of this wood, it was a new one to me.

Does anyone have the name for me???

Don
Old 02-05-2009, 08:22 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: wood used in ARFs

Hi Don, Does Lite Ply ring a bell? Are you familiar with it? I have seen it referred to as a balsa wood replacement because it is so light and a little stronger than balsa but it may not be what you are looking for. I've been building models since 1945 and I haven't found anything close to the strength to weight ratio of balsa. If you come up with something, I would certainly like to find out about it. Dan.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:02 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what about the wood they use in europe? i can't think of the name at the moment? but it is even used over there to skin wings. the scale builders posting over here use the wood a lot. anybody?
Old 02-05-2009, 09:52 PM
dolanosa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obechi?
Old 02-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Campgems

ORIGINAL: dolanosa

Obechi?
Bingo, that was it. Now to try to find a source of 1/16 and 3/32 sheets. So far all I've found is 8/4 stock. Not having a planer, I think my bandsaw will leave it a bit rough.

Don
Old 02-05-2009, 11:16 PM
WALKERS210-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

A very good friend of mine is a retired gentleman that does a lot of wood working as a hobby and a way to pass time. He gave me some COTTONWOOD, he does have planer and is able to cut it to almost any size needed. It is strong and extremely light.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:02 AM
Nathan_L

Obechi is used a lot in wooden boat building and even in some glass boats. I'm not sure of the thicknesses but you can find some pretty thin obechi plywood, dunno about regular stock sizes. Might check with the wooden boat building supply sites.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Campgems

Thanks for the lead.

Don
Old 02-07-2009, 12:04 PM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

obechi comes so thin i used to use scissors to cut it for wing skins,but it ain't cheap
Old 02-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Campgems

Ron, do you have a source? So far the best I've found is 4/4 or 8/4 stock.

Don
Old 02-07-2009, 01:19 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

These people were supposed to be a good source of Obechi

http://www.edensaw.com/products.asp

Typical 25 lb cubic ft

Old 02-07-2009, 05:01 PM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

i used to get mine from lonestar balsa but they are out of it since the fire. haven't used any obechi in many years,i just go with 1/16th or 3/32 balsa now days
Old 02-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Campgems

ORIGINAL: 3dd

i used to get mine from lonestar balsa but they are out of it since the fire. haven't used any obechi in many years,i just go with 1/16th or 3/32 balsa now days

What i'm looking for is 1/16 sheets to make ribs from. Most of the 1/16 balsa I've found is to light weight/to weak. After seeing the wing structure of an ARF that was made up with it, it looked like a very good substute. I guess I could look for some Hard balsa thought. Kind of like the printed stuff in the old Coment Kits. I used to get my dad's used double edge razor blades and break them in half an put tape on the dull side, I still remeber the sting from the ambroid cement getting into the cuts. The wood was probalby better cut with a chain saw, it was so hard.

One other thing I've though of was to make some 3/32 balsa Ply. The hard wood would be easier though.

I'm going to have to give teh Edensaw folks a call, I haven't got much off their web site.

It must have been Lonestar that had the sheets and sticks of obeche. I sure can't any sources of thin sheets here in the US, the UK is a different story though. I must have found a dozen sites there with what I want.

Thanks for the leads guys.

Don