Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Live Wire Kitten (Flying Models, June 1996)

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Live Wire Kitten (Flying Models, June 1996)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:03 AM
Nergall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Live Wire Kitten (Flying Models, June 1996)

I've been looking for something quick and easy to fly and settled on scratch building on of these. (Or plan build, if you prefer.) It also looks like an easy build, and I haven't scratch built much in a while.

However, I have a few questions for mods I was thinking about. (or maybe these are more comments?)

1. It seems obvious the control surfaces could be a little larger. I'm not building this for 3D, so I plan to be conservative on this. However, I'd like to add ailerons.

2. The wing incidence on this is crazy high - looks like 5 degrees? I understand that is typical for that era (1953) free flight designs. However, with a nice light brushless motor, I think it would be a good idea to reduce to down to 1 or 2 degrees?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. I was able to find a couple mentions of this design on RCUniverse, but nothing solid.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:58 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Live Wire Kitten (Flying Models, June 1996)

The wing incidense is higher than today, for at the time the old Wen-Mac engine was barely putting out the required power to lift the Receiver and B batteries. As you may be using late model radio gera, would be OK to redusce theis some, but it will agin speed too, and not climb as fast as normally done.

The elevators are sized about right for the overall size to the A/C rignht now. I would not fiddle around with them.

The wind has too much dihdral and airleron installation would only then be an exercise, not helping any.

I wourked on the DeBolt models that Bob Holman is marketing. As was later on mentioned in another magazine.

Wm.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Nergall

Thanks for the response.

I was thinking of reducing the incidence to 2-3 degrees. I guess I would prefer slow flight, so maybe I should leave it as is?

Of course, I would expect it to fly slightly faster, but this also means further from the stall speed, correct?

On the ailerons, I had planned to reduce the dihedral, again to 2-3 degrees max along with that change.

I did find a Live Wire Champ kit (current) for sale somewhere. Is that the one you worked on?

(There was an old Live Wire Kitten kit on Ebay last night as well. I'm not really a kit collector, so the price was on the high side for me.)

Old 03-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Hatzman

I built a Live Wire Kitten a few years ago. Powered it with a queen Bee 0.074. Plenty of power. Not too much, but plenty.

The decalage between the wing and stab is probably more like 2.5 to 3 deg. Leave it alone, this is not a plane that is designed to fly fast. You'll have more fun with a slower flyer.

Don't worry about the elevator, you won't be doing any tight loops.

On my build, I decided that the rudder was too small. I increased the area by about 33%. Way too much. The first flight was a real thrill. Not to brag, but I have plenty of experience flying this type plane. I got the plane back on the ground and promptly went back to the original rudder size.

Hal Debolt kenw waht he was doing. You'll enjoy flying the original design.

Attached is a picture of my live wire Champ from a Early RC Models (now from Wing Mfg.) kit. This is with my wing mod to reduce dihedral and to add ailreons. I recently build the original wing with proper dihedral and no ailerons. I saved 5 oz. I don't have any pictures yet, but the original design is much more fun to fly.

If you want a plane that flys like a Kadet, build a Kadet. I have had three and I love to fly them.

Bill Francis

Old 03-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Nergall

lol, I already have a Kadet Senior! (Straight kit build wth no ailerons)

I just want something smaller.

Thanks for the response.

The plans I have show more like a 5 degree decalage, and I was considering lowering it to 2-3. It sounds like that is exactly what's working for you.

I was also thinking the rudder was too small, but planned to leave the elevator alone. Sounds like I can leave this alone as well.

BTW, the plans I have are from a Flyng Models Mag where it was converted to electric. It might not be exactly the same.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88332.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	1153891  
Old 03-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Hatzman

I also built from the Flying Models plans. I think they were by Bob Aberle - His adaption of the Hal DeBolt original for electric. I'm guessing about the decalage, but I used what the plans called for. I still have the plans, but they are not handy.

I am just now getting into electrics and have actually thought about building another LW Kitten for electric. My present plans are for an electrified Gentle Lady and then a 1/2 scale Dallaire Sportster for electric. For a real kick, search for Dallaire Sportster on You-tube.

Bill Francis
Old 03-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Nergall

That would be the one. Their plans service kindly sent me the back issue as well. Though the plan was a blue print! Haven't seen one of those in quite a while.

On the decalage, I'm guessing a bit to. I used a compass, but I probably didn't line it up perfectly. It might be 4 degrees, but it's defintely more than 3 to my eye.

Anyway, thanks again for the response. It sounds like I should build it to the plans in that case. It won't be much for inverted flight like that, but, like you said, I'm not really building it for stunts. If I were, I'd build something else entirely.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Nergall

This video?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2ldc_-KCv8

lol, I think if you build that half size, you might be able to fly it in your living room!
Old 03-10-2009, 08:23 AM
Hatzman

No, this video is of a 1/2 size Dallaire. The original was 108" wingspan.

There is a kit of this size from a company called "Spirit of Yesteryear". I think they are out of Canada.

Bill Francis
Old 03-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Nergall

Here's where I saw the Champ kit:

http://www.earlyrcmodels.com/id15.html
Old 03-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Hatzman

That's where mine came from. Bob Harris of Raleigh, NC started the company several years ago. It became so successful that he had a hard time keeping up and sold to Wing Mfg. That must have been in 2007. I don't know the man's name at Wing, but he was a pleasure to do business with. The prices are very reasonable, and he only charges actual shipping charges. Also, the wood was great!

Bill Francis