Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

all. Tips on building a 10" diameter NACA cowling

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

all. Tips on building a 10" diameter NACA cowling

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 02:42 PM
deothoric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all. Tips on building a 10" diameter NACA cowling

I guess the title says it all. The cowl will be a one off for a Fiat CR-42 I'm building from plans. I also guess the cowling needs to be smooth inside and out to get a venturi affect? The prop won't extend far beyond the cowl. I'm up for any tips on the best way to go with this. I'm competent at panel beating metal, fibreglassing and I'm even have a go at vacuum molding if anybody thinks its practicable. The cowl will be around 12" in length.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: all. Tips on building a 10" diameter NACA cowling

Use the "lost foam" method. Many articles have been written about this method.

In that you actually make the cowling out of foam. No, not white foam, but blue or pink.

Once made, and made with the allowance of having the thing glassed with a few layers of glass cloth and the chemical of your choice. I would use polyester laminating resin, but a thousand other guys will tell you to use Epoxy resin.

But does it really matter?

After the thing is glassed and cured, dissolve the foam with lacquer thinner.

What's left is a great cowling. Or anything else for that matter.

Good luck!

Charles
Old 03-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Ken Kehlet
My Feedback: (89)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I own the Original Fiat CR 42 "FALCO" R/C Plans with 63" Wingspan designed by Tom Tjaarda for Scale R/C Modeler magazine and sold through Harold Osborne's Plan Service. The printed Construction Article does not say how to make the cowling. You might try Fiberglass Specialities.

If anyone else would like to build this WW II Warbird, send me your e-mail address and I will send you my FREE Listings of R/C Plans and Scale Racing Aircraft Drawings.

Regards, Ken AMA 1528 e-mail : [email protected]
Old 03-26-2009, 01:12 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fiberglass Specialties has standard radial cowls up to 20" diameter. There was 3 or 4 in the 10" range that might work.
Edwin
http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/catalog.htm