Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Conventional leading edge

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 11:48 PM
shd3920

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conventional leading edge

When you read the measurement for conventional leading edges [example 1/4"x3/8"] http://www.specializedbalsa.com/lead_trail_aileron.php
which measure is listed first, vertical or horizontal?

Also: I am planning on a low-wing scratch build. Which would be a better shape leading edge that would look better and have a better fit when attached to the fuselage? The conventional or symmetrical?

I need to purchase a couple for a scratch build and I need to know before the purchase of the wood.

Thank you
Old 03-17-2009, 06:36 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Default RE: Conventional leading edge

I would suggest the first measurement is the thickness. It doesn't take much time to carve your own edge so that's what I would do rather than attempt to make the preformed edge fit.
The wing section you chose will detemine what leading edge you need, i.e. flat bottom or symmetrical. I would just purchase the thicknees of sheeting that you are planning use and carve and sand to final shape after it is glued on. Attached are examples.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22555.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	1159722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61075.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1159723  
Old 03-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Lnewqban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Conventional leading edge

shd3920:

The first or smaller measure is the horizontal (or fraction of the chord of the wing).
The second or bigger measure is the vertical (about 25 % bigger than the horizontal).

Note that the "conventional" leading edge is good only for flat bottom wings, while the symmetrical leading edge is only good for symmetrical airfoils.

Note also that prefabricated leading edges like those need to be selected to match your airfoil, and then sand or carve them in order to achieve a perfect and smooth transition to the contour of the airfoil.

If you start from a rectangular piece of wood, consider that it is critical for the efficiency of the wing that the radius you create matches the specified for your airfoil.
For any airfoil, the very leading edge is always a semi-circle, which transitions to the top and bottom surfaces.

Hope this help.