Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Biplane incidence

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 11:32 AM
LShaver1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biplane incidence

Working on a Hostetler Bucker Jungmeister (wings done) starting Fuselage , plans show 0 degress incidence on top wing and 1 degress negative incidence on bottom wing, tail is 0 degress and 0 (down) degress in motor; plane also uses a fully symmetrical airfoil.
My goal is a biplane that is acrobatic , should I leave it as is or set top and bottom at 0 and make adjustments to the top wing after flying it ?
Any feedback or thoughts are welcome
Thanks
LShaver1
Old 03-29-2009, 12:07 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Biplane incidence

I woluld leave as is,the top wing should stall first in this setup allowing some snappy manuvers and easier recovery
Old 03-29-2009, 12:24 PM
CrateCruncher
My Feedback: (1)

I'm not familiar with the Hostetler Jungmeister but if it were my plane I'd set it the way the designer recommended at least for the initial flights. Most of the aerobatic bipes I've known over the years were symmetrical set ups like this although the bottom was usually at "0" and top was "-1" (Aeromaster, Super Skybolt, etc). If you plan to dial in the incidence through experimentation just leave the saddle fillets unfinished for the initial flights.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

You will find that most biplanes have the top wing set with more incidence than the bottom as does this plane.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:14 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I beg to differ on the normal biplane incidence. Most models perform much better with the upper wing at -1.5 degrees relative to the lower wing. I have built and flown well over a dozen: 7 Airomasters, 2 large Phaetons, 2 40 sized Phaetons, many Moths (both 1/4 scale and smaller), 2 large Lazy Aces, 1 small Lazy Ace and all flew best with the upper wing at -1.5 degrees with respect to the lower wing. They all also like about 3 degrees right thrust and 3 to 5 degrees down thrust. It is amazing how just a degree or two in change of the relative wing incidences change the flying characteristics. Now, do first try what the designer or kit producer recommends . If you do not like the way the plane handles, then a little experimenting might be advisable. You could be pleasantly surprised.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:59 PM
LShaver1
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks for all the info....all the biplane plans I've seen so far have the bottom 0 and - in top, even the real Jungmeister (but it was a flat bottom airfoil), think I'll try 0 and 0 then crank on top wing to see what happens for the trim flights
Thanks
LShaver1