Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Wing Warps

Old 06-17-2003, 04:41 AM
aussie
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing Warps

need some advice. Building a Morane Type n and after some weeks of the wing sitting around finished it has decided to warp the rigft wing. Could someone suggest an easy fix. I have heard that Amonia sprayed on the wood and the wing weighted down may help. any advice would be appreciated. The plane will be covered in Solartex.
Thanks
Old 06-17-2003, 03:22 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wing Warps

I think I would just take the warp out with the covering after it is all done unless it is really bad.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:23 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Wing Warps

I agree with FLYBOY unless it's a local kink in the wood that's causing it. In that case either the ammonia (never tried that method myself) or some steam from a kettle can be used to soften the wood and straighten it back out.

If it's fairly scale then the wing is probably quite flexible anyway. Just be sure the wood is straight when hung vertically and then rely on the covering to pull out the warps.