Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

RCV Engines

Old 06-22-2003, 03:32 AM
ThunderAI-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCV Engines

Does anyone have any experience with the RCV engines found at rcvengines.com. I like the 120 "4-stroke", but I am not sure if it is of quality or whats going on in that engine.

I have read all the information on their site and it looks promising, just wounding if anyone has any notes on them.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:12 PM
Dsegal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCV Engines

> whats going on in that engine. <

It is a four stroke reciprocating piston glow engine with a sleeve valve. I have watched one run on a club member's plane and it ran well. But you had better be prepared for the huge diameter prop necessary because of the gearing.

Dave Segal
Old 06-22-2003, 03:51 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RCV Engines

There was a write up on one of these, I'm not sure which size, in a british magazine that I have. It's a little unusual what with the 2:1 gearing inherent to the layout but the engine got a very good write up for usable power and ease of use. And yeah, they were turning some larger props on it. This would not be an engine for a model that wanted to see higher speeds even by 4 stroke standards. On a large sport scale type biplane or civil type model it would be lovely. Radial cowls? No problem with the big prop.