Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Horten IX V1 Center of Gravity

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Horten IX V1 Center of Gravity

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 12:24 AM
cfv007
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horten IX V1 Center of Gravity

I am building a Horten IX V1 flying wing from Bale planes. Jim Bale has passed away or I would just contact him. Does anyone have any experience with properly CGing this aircraft? I think the CG range is noted on the plans however its not labeled as such and seems to be WAY far aft on the wing. I did some rough measurements and it seems the CG mark is at about 50% of the m.a.c. Can this be correct? It just doesnt look right to me. I have built several foamy wings and know that the CG seems to be aft a little from where you would expect it (due to the swept wing) but this CG mark in the Horten plans seems odd to me. This is appox. 80" span plane and I am powering it with an OS .91 Surpass in the pusher configuration. I dont want the maiden flight to be a disaster! Any help would be appreciated.

Charles :-)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	88539_9207.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	51350  
Old 06-23-2003, 12:34 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two ways. If you can find a side view DWG. , just ahead of the main gear. Or make a small hand launch glider of balsa. Put in a bit of up elevon and balance till you get a fast flat glide. I think you will find they will both be close to the same CG.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:05 PM
Cdallas2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to show us pictures of your build because that would be a very cool airplane.