Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Blerio III, 1906

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 10:06 AM
dicknadine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blerio III, 1906

todays status, now to tie both hoop's together. then ? the old Goat is getting older and time for New Balsa order from Lone Star. dick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97412.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1228562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69895.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1228563  
Old 07-02-2009, 02:51 PM
dicknadine

Default RE: Blerio III, 1906

surprise it fits in the back seat of the car. now to do the stab/elevator. 13 oz, so far. dick

Name:	Db85889.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1228691  
Old 07-03-2009, 10:30 AM
dicknadine

getting larger each day. tail feathers installed. now to do front end - motor, etc.

Name:	Yv66329.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1229046  
Old 07-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Chevelle
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Dick,

Very interesting subject. From what Ihave read, the Bleriot III never successfully left the ground. Not sure why. Engines of the day were heavy given their power and that may have been the reason. Also, I am assuming the the annular wings don't have much lift. The IV replaced forward annular wing with a sort of biplane arrangement but that wasn't successful either.

Assuming your model with lift off, will it have enough attitude control? They were still figuring all that out in 1906.

Anyway, great subject. Not many doing the pioneering era stuff. As a matter of fact, I would venture a guess that it is just you and me. I am in the middle of a Curtiss 1910 Hudson Flier project (full scale and 1/4 scale). The 1910 AVRO Triplane Mk IV will be next.

Keep posting. I'd love to see your progress and learn more about this plane. I'll be following your progress.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:24 PM
dicknadine

my info, perspective 4" drawing came from book, World Encyclopedia of Cival Aircrft, Enzo Aangelucci, Crown publishers, page 63. have no other info. so it's all By Guess and Bygolly. have tried to find additional info, but no sucess. so it's up to others to prove me wrong. some 60 years of automotive and aircraft design and drafting sure comes in handy. if you have any additional info, I sure would appreciate it. tele 225.222.6779 up till around 10pm. dick

Name:	He97459.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1229142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60100.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1229143  
Old 07-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Chevelle
My Feedback: (2)

Not much to be found about the Bleriot III. Here is the blurb from Wikipedia:

The Blériot III was an early French aeroplane built by pioneer aviators Louis Blériot and Gabriel Voisin, and eventually became their first design to actually leave the ground under its own power. The Blériot III was a design radically different from what would later become orthodox for aircraft, featuring two large elliptical annular wingsjoined by a boom. A single Antoinette engine drove two tractor propellers and it was provided with float undercarriage. Blériot and Voisin made repeated attempts to fly it from Lake Enghein between May and September 1906, but the machine would not become airborne.

In October they made major changes to the design, replacing the forward annular wing with a conventional biplane cellule, adding a second engine, and changing the propellers from tractors to pushers. At this point, it was renamed Blériot IV. Even with these modifications however, the aircraft still refused to leave the ground, so on 12 November, they removed the floats and added a wheeled undercarriage to try again on land. Matching power between the two engines proved to be a major problem, but they nevertheless coaxed the machine into making a series of short hops before one of its wingtips struck a gutter, damaging it beyond repair. Modern sources differ as to whether to dignify these hops as "flight", but the failure of the aircraft to achieve anything greater drove Voisin to terminate his partnership with Blériot and pursue his own designs alone.

Here is something from PBS' Nova site:

Blériot III
Far from discouraged by the crash of the Type II, Blériot invited Voisin to join him in forming the world's first airplane company. Their initial powered machine, the Blériot III, had striking elliptical tandem wings made of hollow ash covered with French silk. Twin elevators were housed within the front wing, and a rudder was placed inside the back wing. Blériot insisted upon a 24-horsepower, eight-cylinder engine to drive two large tractor propellers at 600 rpm. The complex transmission weighed 243 pounds. In May 1906, the plane was taken to Lake Enghien near Paris for trials Voisin later called "disastrous." It never left the lake's surface.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:05 AM
dicknadine

thanks for the info. here is todays status. dick

Name:	Sq46423.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1229647  
Old 07-06-2009, 02:09 PM
dicknadine

[quote] here it is, just about structurally complete, getting more lack of interest. so will take a break and look for the next project. dick again the computor is the boss and no foto attachments today.