Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Trailing Link Strut Replacement Spring

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Trailing Link Strut Replacement Spring

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 01:57 AM
pyropainter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailing Link Strut Replacement Spring

A few friends and I are working a scratch built jet turbine project. Since I have access to a machine shop it will be my job to produce the retracts and trailing link struts. I am having trouble sourcing the spring needed for the rear struts. I realize that we could buy the replacement springs from someplace like Dreamworks but we are trying to save a little money as we go. I have found a place online called Century Spring but they have a minimum order of $40. I think I can do better. Your help is appreciated.
Thanks
Barry
Old 11-08-2009, 07:49 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Trailing Link Strut Replacement Spring

Making your own spring from spring stock is dead simple. Most hardware stores have spring stock. They've got it from tiny stuff suitable for replacement springs in you TX to sizes you'd use on a farm. They have both pull and compression stock. And it's certainly nowhere close to $40.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:42 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

McMaster-Carr, www.mcmaster.com, has a huge selection of springs at reasonable prices. No minimum that I know of.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Laird SS

How about Ace Hardware. They should have some selection of springs with no minimum, of course.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:23 AM
pyropainter

Thanks for all of the help. Today I did go to Ace Hardware in search of a spring. The best one I could find was something that has an overall length of 2 1/16 by 3/8 inches in diameter with a wire diameter of about 1/16 of an inch. I took it home to do some research and found that the springs deflection at about 24 pounds was roughly .4 inches. The flying weight of the jet is going to be roughly 23 pounds. I do not think this will be enough. I did look at Mcmaster Carr without much luck either. It is possible that we will have to purchase replacement springs from Dreamworks rc. But for 14.00 dollars a pair I am willing to do a little research since we will be building 4 planes. For me this project is about keeping costs down without sacrificing quality.
Thanks again
Barry
Old 11-09-2009, 06:54 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both ACEs I shop at have spring stock. It's long lengths of spring in different sizes. You make what you need by cutting a length and bending the two ends to make hooks. It's dead simple to do.

It also allows you to make whatever strength you need. Just make a longer or shorter spring to suit. Or use the next larger diameter, or the next smaller diameter. It's easier than you can imagine.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Lnewqban

You may try Autopart stores.

I remember I found a drawer with many extension and compression mid-size springs at PepBoys no long ago.