Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Where do you get your Balsa from?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Where do you get your Balsa from?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 08:33 AM
speedy72vega

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you get your Balsa from?

Just wondering where everyone gets their Balsa from. I'm ready to start my H1 scratch build, and have been shopping around for the sticks to build it from. Do most of you order online in bulk? The LHS seems kinda expensive when it comes to the Balsa.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:53 AM
mclina

Default RE: Where do you get your Balsa from?

For my last (and only) scratch build, I ordered from Lone Star Balsa. I was pretty happy with the quality and the packaging. It is a lot cheaper than putting together a stack of materials from the LHS.

Good luck.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:56 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I often order a couple of hundred dollars of wood at one time, while my frind orders a thousand at once. We find the quality of wood bears directly upon how far from home the vendor is. More time zones away, a bit lesser quality on packaging or shipping boxes.

Wm.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:48 PM
speedy72vega

Thanks for the tips guys.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:45 AM
speedy72vega

Quick update: I came across a supplier called Balsa Wood Inc. I think they're out of Iowa?? I placed my order yesterday, I'll give an update as to the quality once it arrives. The prices were very reasonable, selection seems good. They give you the option of USPS or FedEx for shipping.
I ordered what I think SHOULD be enough wood for my H1 project, was just a tick over 30 bucks (not including S/H, that was another $10.99), including a sheet of 1/8 light ply for the firewall. Not too bad.
mclina, I went to Lone Star Balsa's website, unfortunately it seems they had a big fire a while back and lost everything. They're trying to rebuild the business, but don't have any Balsa in stock right now. Their website said 'expecting a shipment mid November 2009, so it seems they're just getting up and running again. I wish them the best of luck.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:53 AM
aerofly0610

ORIGINAL: speedy72vega

Quick update: I came across a supplier called Balsa Wood Inc. I think they're out of Iowa?? I placed my order yesterday, I'll give an update as to the quality once it arrives. The prices were very reasonable, selection seems good. They give you the option of USPS or FedEx for shipping.
I ordered what I think SHOULD be enough wood for my H1 project, was just a tick over 30 bucks (not including S/H, that was another $10.99), including a sheet of 1/8 light ply for the firewall. Not too bad.
mclina, I went to Lone Star Balsa's website, unfortunately it seems they had a big fire a while back and lost everything. They're trying to rebuild the business, but don't have any Balsa in stock right now. Their website said 'expecting a shipment mid November 2009, so it seems they're just getting up and running again. I wish them the best of luck.
you must be mistaken, I just ordered some stuff from them (Lone star) and got it last month.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:32 PM
grh_70

What a difference a month can make:

Notice appearing on the current Lone STar Home Page

Our balsa supply is very low
at the present time. We are out
of 4-6# balsa. We expect a
container the end of the
month (November).
Old 11-12-2009, 01:33 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've ordered from Balsa USA and had I'm very pleased with their quality, service and delivery. I also recently ordered some "salvaged" balsa sheets from Lone Star Balsa. The quality of those sheets was surprisingly excellent. I'd highly recommend either supplier.

papermache
Old 11-12-2009, 02:12 PM
speedy72vega

grh 70, that's the same notice I saw. They said they were having trouble getting back in with their suppliers.
I did look at Balsa USA also, they have a better selection than Balsa Wood Inc as far as l/e t/e choices, i'll probably order from them in the future too.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:15 PM
speedy72vega

Here's a quick update. I received my order from Balsa Wood Inc. today, packing was decent, order was correct. Some of the sheets have some slight blemishes, hopefully I can work around them.
If I did have one complaint, it would be that they didn't send as per my requested shipping method. They give you the choice of FedEx or USPS. I chose USPS, but they sent it FedEx instead.
Other than that, everything seems great, and their prices are pretty decent. If anyone's looking for a source for their wood, give them a look. I would order from them again.