Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Nelson's clear coat

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nelson's clear coat

How much of Nelson's Clear coat should I use toclear coata 0.40 size model? 500 sq. inches of wing area? I have some Klasskote, but I'm getting anixous to finish the plane after the decals.

Thanks

Jim
Old 11-12-2009, 06:40 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Nelson's clear coat

jim, are you asking how many coats of clear?
Old 11-12-2009, 07:33 AM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Morning, David. I'm certain one or two coats of clear should be sufficient. Your working with nelson's paint. How may ounces of paint would I need to clear coat a small 0.40 plane. I'm build the 0.40 F-18 from RCM magazine. 500 sq inches, 57 inches long, 43 inch wing span. I'm figure a pint might be enough. The model is painted in Rust-Oleum Painters Touch, so it has to be fuel proofed. Unless I we work it for an electric motor at the back.

Is Nelson's paint really odorless, because I would be spraying this in my basement.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14889.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1312839  
Old 11-12-2009, 08:09 AM
dhal22

good morning to you as well, yes the nelson's paint is completely odorless. you could just about spray it inside if you had an exhaust fan. and i mean in your living room/kitchen. throw a tarp on the floor, place a fan in a nearby window and go to spraying. however i find it easier to spray outside.

you will have to spray more than 2 coats. the nelson's paint has to be lightly misted for a few coats. the 1st pass should be just a misty splatter pattern. then you build up from there. and you can always wet sand the thickness down.

i bought a quart because i plan on using the clear on many planes.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:54 PM
clscale-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I painted my models with flat latex house paint and put 2 or 3 coats of nelson clear over the plane. I forget how much I needed. One thing I did learn was that my ink jet waterslide decals looked better after the first coat of clear coat was on the model.

The next time I paint a model I will paint the the model with the flat latex house paint, then put on any ink lines, then one coat of nelson clear coat. Then after that is dry put on the decals and then put on two more coats of clear.

The clear is great stuff....
Old 11-17-2009, 09:13 PM
dhal22

fred, excellent idea, the decals sandwiched between coats of clear.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:58 PM
CGAV8R
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A pint will be more than enough.

Aaron D.