Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Fuse Sheet Grain Direction Question

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Fuse Sheet Grain Direction Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 12:25 AM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuse Sheet Grain Direction Question

I'm in the process of building a Bridi Chaos 60 fuse. The plans shows that the balsa sheeting on the top runs longitudinally - firewall to a step just in front of the stab. However it is not clear whether the bottom sheeting (3/32" balsa) is to run longitudinally (like the top)or laterally. It's unclear because the plans show the use of 8 nearly square balsa sheets to cover the bottom from the rear of the wing saddle and extending to the fin post. The fuse width is just under 3" so it would seem quite reasonable that IFthe grain were to be longitudinal the plans would show a single sheet to be used as the bottom is nearly flat and does not present a "wrapping over a curve"issue. Is sheeting somehow stronger if it is sliced up into sections and then reassembled into a long sheet using glue at the butt joints? Is it possible that the sheets should be assembled alternating the grain (can you say "Parkay")?

So, beat me with the "I can't believe that you asked this question" posts ...

Inspite of the expected hacks - thanks much for your informed (I hope ) feedback.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:41 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Fuse Sheet Grain Direction Question

Cross grain (laterally) is correct. Makes the fuselage resist torsional loads better.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:31 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My experience has been that having the sides run the long way of the fuselage and the top and bottom spanwise give the best compromise for rigidity but I have no numbers (factual measurements) to prove this.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:09 AM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks much - today is a good day - I learned something.