Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

1/12 to 40 size..??

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 08:29 AM
kenncarleton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/12 to 40 size..??

Hey guys a couple of us have found a 1/12 mig 3 that we want to resize to a 40 size we love ww2 fights but see to many mustangs and spitfires found tdm model we would like to oder there plans and resize them but haveing a hard time figureing out what size to blow them up to any help would be greatly welcome ..
thanks kenn
Old 11-28-2009, 10:03 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: 1/12 to 40 size..??

Have a look at the HOB .20 sized Mustang for a sense of scale. I have a OS .32 in it and the plane is stripped down to bare essentuals, no landing gear, small RX, battery, servos, etc. It is as heavy as it needs to be at this size. With a little more wing area and room in the fuselage for a bigger tank, it would be just right for a .40-.50 engine. I'd say another 10% would do it, but measure up all your critical gear, like the engine, tank, etc. and make sure your scaled up plans accomodate everything with room for padding. If you go with a Jett or Tettra tank, then no need for padding.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:25 AM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ken,

It might be tough getting responses due to anyone reading your question not knowing the purpose for which you want to build the Mig 3. Do youintend to pursue scale warbird racing? Is thisa small fun-scale model, general sport flyer, etc.? Even as a sport flyer, do you want an emphasis on speed andperformance, or a relatively nice, mellow-mannered machine that just happens to look like a warbird? Even knowing the type of .40 engine you plan to install makes a big difference Performance between an old 40LA and a Nelson or Rossi or even a MDS can be significant. Tunedpipe or not? Or, just if you want this size, yet are going to install an oversized YS110 . . . all this makes a huge difference towards any advice we might be able to offer you. If you give those of us in the forum more information, we might be able to be more helpful.

Not knowing the purpose makes a precise response difficult. But some general ideas (just my 2 cents, for what they areworth):

I would not exceed 1/10th scale with a standard .40-size 2 stroke or the bird will likely be underpowered.

Most 40 "sized" warbirds are stillpowered by at least a .45or larger 2-stroke, or comparable 4-stroke. In this case, up to about 1/8th scale might be a better size (from a "general handling characteristics" perspective).

If you plan on racing, look at the latest rules of whatever organization you may wish to race with. Specifically, in theModel Requirements section of their rules, there is usually some sort of Engine Displacement/Wing Area Table. (For example, I race with the Sacramento Area Modelers, and their 2009Engine Displacement/Wing Area Table currently requires a minimum of400 square inches of wing area to qualify for the event, using a .40 2-stroke, 440 sq. " for a .45 2-stroke, etc. So again, the model's purpose, the specific engine you intend to use, etc., all have a huge impact on your design. Generally speaking, even if you are not planning to race, these tables will likely give you a good frame of reference/recommendations for size of the plane relative to your intended power source. One further note: S.A.M.'s Engine Displacement/Wing Area Table is likely to be revised for 2010, and according to many of the discussions I've been trying to follow on some ofthe racing forums, the same can be said about many other venues, so be sure to check for the most up-to-date rules if this applies before you start the design process.)

Any other events will likely have at least some general guidelines regarding model requirements, so taking the time to investigate these before you start build will likely save you aggrevation later.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:40 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

So resize a 1/12 scale plan at roughly 34'ish inches up to a .40 size at 50'ish inches will require some major alterations to the internal structure. The 1/12 size plans will not have enough wing ribs or fuselage formers to properly support the skins you'll be using. Also any blocks or heavy sheeting sides that are intended to be sanded to shape will be too thick at the bigger size and result in excess weight. In other words a lot of redesigning will be needed to the point where the small plans will be suitable only as the outlines.

In the end you may want to consider doing your own plans. Find something that is .40 sized and that has roughly the same scale shape and copy the structure as to rib numbers, spars, fuselage construction style, etc onto a set of Mig 3 outline drawings.