Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Any body want free plans for an Extra 300?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Any body want free plans for an Extra 300?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 05:51 AM
oscarthompson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any body want free plans for an Extra 300?

I have been making an extra 300, scatch build and from my own plans.

I will be issuing these plans on www.instructables.com in the next month or so.
If any one requests I can get PDF's of the plans but other wise its just a webpage with instructions on.

The Extra 300I have build allows you to use your own trim settings as the plans do not involve covering.

Specs:

Wingspan: 4.5ft
lenth (with cowling=motor): 42 inches
Engine: electric .20 and upsized
Radio 4ch-6ch
servos: micro or standardservos

Other detials

I would recomend you use foam wheels and a plastic undercarriage and wheel pants.

The canopy and cowling need to be vacum formed, it you dont have oneI suggest you make the negative moulds for the canopy andcowlingout of balsa wood, and then take it to a collage or universaty, where you will probably be able to get it vacum formed.

The materials list and other details are in the instructions.

Please tell me if you want the instructions or if any other details are needed.
The progress of the airplane can be viewed here

Thanks

Oscar
Old 12-21-2009, 07:46 AM
Cdr.Instigator

Default RE: Any body want free plans for an Extra 300?

Did you say FREE?

If so, I want free plans.. Post up the PDF please?

Old 12-21-2009, 08:07 AM
oscarthompson

Yep there FREE,I will post the PDF in a month or so when there complete
Old 12-21-2009, 11:11 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good five or ten years ago now, a friend came over with a certain edition of Model Aviation that showed a 300 inside. He ordered the plans then found it specified some big three cylinder Ign. engine that had by then only recently come on sale, saving him maybe $75 on an order.

This model was HUGE. It must have had a fuselage of about six to eight feet long. The wings were made up from some converted foam, and were equally large. I had to cut the fuselage parts in thirds due to the overall size, for there wasn't a laser around that could handle thick plywood that big.

In short it was big, but a failure as in the article it was mentioned the builder had home built his own retracting landing gear, as there too, none was available commercially. My friend sold off the new motor (and made a proffit too) as once he got in further, he found it was a very expensive airplane to build (or machine up the parts for). So he gave up at having only a few dollaors invested and went onto something smaller.

I would like to compare the new plans with the older plan(s) done here for outline, but have trouble with PDFs right now. Can only accept the files in some version of Autocad DWG or as lines and text in an export DXF file format. Not PDF.

Wm.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:23 PM
oscarthompson

I Don't have autoCAD or any other software like that yet., sorry.

Is there software out there that can convert pdf or word to CAD or dxf

Thanks

Oscar
Old 12-24-2009, 07:38 AM
kdc

Anyone considering building from this plan needs to ask whether it has successfully flown before they start construction. Then they need to satisfy themselves that the construction is adequate and, above all, safe for an RC model.
I have looked at the photos and can see nothing that looks like a normal wing spar for a 54 inch model of any type. And I have never seen any fuselage or tailplane that looked less likely to be rigid enough for this type of model.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Kaos1964
My Feedback: (12)

Well said, KDC - and I have to agree. Have to applaud the effort but after looking at the pics I wouldn't want to be in the neighborhood for the maiden.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Cdr.Instigator

Sorry to say, but it's not going to fly right if at all. The elevator is way higher than the main wing and the main wing dowel rod is not going to be sufficient enough to keep it from collapsing on the first turn if it gets off the ground.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:28 PM
oscarthompson

Hi all,

I did say this was my first aerobatic model buildand it it isn't actully finished.The wing or fusealarge isn't completed, so it may look differnt from what its soposed to be like. Please don't get arngry with me for making and devolping my own plans, ive put a lot of hard work into this.

Thanks

Oscar
Old 12-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Cdr.Instigator

No one is angry Brother.. Good luck with the build. We all learn from our own mistakes..
Old 12-24-2009, 01:35 PM
oscarthompson

Thank you.... I was getting revous there.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Kaos1964

Ditto the nobody's angry - my apologies if my comments contributed to your nervousness.

I think some of the comments here are just out of concern that we'd like to see you end up with a successful and airworthy project!

As others have already pointed out, I would have some concerns about the strength of the airframe you've shown in the pictures, but you may have plans to reinforce or sturdy it up a bit, I'm not sure.

RCU is a tremendous resource - without knowing your skill or experience level with building, I'll suggest doing a lot of reading here and in the "kit building" area of the forums so that you can get a feel for various building techniques. If you have specific questions, please ask! There are many here much more qualified than me to answer any question you can think of!

Best regards and Happy Holidays to you!
Old 12-24-2009, 05:09 PM
kdc

Actually some of us are angry that such a poorly designed wing could be offered as a plan for other people to build from. You need to understand that people have been killed by model aircraft of this size, and a wing failure could be dangerous to innocent people.
The structure of model aircraft is a delicate balance between many factors including strength, stiffness and lightness. Designing an RC model requires knowledge and experience. The photographs of the model so far suggests that the 'designer' has no idea of the proper way to design a structure that will be safe to fly. Forget this design entirely and build and fly a few simpler models designed by a reputable designer before you even think about designing your own plane , let alone offering your plan to other people.

For reference, one of England's most experienced designers decided that his 56inch Extra 300S needed an OS .70 Surpass or similar and even the 42 inch span version needed a .40, so this alone shows how far this design differs from one that has flown well. (note. I am not saying that these engine sizes are 'written in stone' but this is what has proved to work well on this type of scale model)
Old 12-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Kaos1964

Can't argue with any of that - perhaps I should have said nobody's angry at HIM. It seems that maybe his experience level wouldn't have led him to believe there's anything wrong with these plans.

Regards...
Old 12-25-2009, 06:45 AM
oscarthompson

If your worried about the safety, don't use the plans. Atleast im doing them for free and if you don't feel safe you can mod them.

And to make every one else happy im, adding a new wingpsar and reinforcing the frame, I promise it will be safe. If you are angry im deeply sorry. AsI say again... its not finished!

Thanks Oscar