Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

extra 3.25 plan questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 10:51 PM
crash bandicoute

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extra 3.25 plan questions

i'm getting ready to begin a scratch build on an extra 3.25 set of plans by Rich Uravitch. i'm curious if this plane is the same demensions as the lanier extra 3.25. the reason being, Rich offers a set of plastics to include the cowl, canopy, and wheel pants for it, but all are ABS. (minus the canopy, of course)i saw on fiberglass specialties inc. that they have a cowl for the lanier extra 3.25. thewingspan and length of the two are the same, but i'm not sure of the fuselage where the cowl would mount to.i will be ordering the set from Rich, for the canopy, but wish to have the 'glass cowl and am hoping it is the same demensions. before i do, does anyone know if it is or not? i could fabricate one of 'glass as a last resort, but am not liking the 'glass fabricating so much. i'm not too good at it yet, and wish not to practice on something necessary for the build to be complete. also, does anyone have experience with building this, that mounted the landing gear differently than using wire landing gear? i.e., "strap" style? and how did the plane fly overall generally?

Old 12-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Laird SS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: extra 3.25 plan questions

Why not write to Rich and find out from him?
Old 12-23-2009, 05:11 AM
franc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: extra 3.25 plan questions

Built this a few years ago, made my own 'glass cowl and wheelpants and molded a canopy. Made the U/C legs from carbon fibre. Built per the plans the incidence was wrong as it required about 5 degrees of downthrust and some elelevator down trim to fly level (didn't want to rebuild the fus or wing). Once this was sorted however it was a great flyer on an OS25.
Try your hand at 'glassing, opens great possibilities!