Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Skyvan

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 08:39 AM
DelRay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Skyvan

Here's my Skyvan I drew my own plans for and scratch built many years ago. I copied it after the full scale that was used at Ida Grove several years for the sky divers. The owner/pilot of that full scale was impressed with my efforts and I got a "right seat" ride with a full load of divers in the back. NO, I didn't jump, but I did have a chute on. The ride was fantastic and I was impressed with the way he backed it into his parking space at the airport after we landed.
My Skyvan has a wingspan of 87 " and the fuse is 67" long. Originally I had it set up to fly with two O.S. .90 four strokes on CH ignition. For several reasons it never was flown, and I've recently taken an interest in it and have started making a few mods to it, and will hopefully get it flown. It's fiberglassed and finished with automotive primer and paint.
My list of mods include updating the aileron controls,and I have a question pertaining to the ailerons for this aircraft.
My question about the ailerons is does there need to be a differential set between the up and down aileron movements for this aircraft?
It seems that I read or heard somewhere that there needs to be a difference between the amount of throw between the up and the down. Any help on this question will be appreciated, and probably good info to have before the first flight.
I'm also making mods as to the mounting position of the motors, changing it from inverted to horizontal, and changing the motors to two Saito .91's. I will also change out the fuel tanks and filling method.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97837.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1367034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71867.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1367035  
Old 01-30-2010, 09:15 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Skyvan

Someone a good ten months ago here from the UK had mentioned a need for such plan(s) as had found thereown, but to wrong scale. Had then to re-size most everything, via CAD and then was going.

Main critisizers here had mentioned the marginal directional stability of the new model and the prototype, and had several solutions.

Wm.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:14 AM
DelRay

CoosBayLumber, thanks for the reply. So, there must be something to what I was thinking, I'll do some searching around and see what I can find. It might have been here that I seen something about the ailerons for this aircraft, I don't remember, but now that I'm thinking of getting it airborne the question came back.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Villa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi DelRay
I have never heard of that full scale plane. Is it by chance made in Brazil?
Old 01-30-2010, 11:40 AM
Laird SS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it was made in Ireland by Short Bros. Here's a link to a Wikipedia article on it. [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_SC.7_Skyvan]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_SC.7_Skyvan[/link]
Old 01-31-2010, 10:34 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: DelRay

I don't remember, but now that I'm thinking of getting it airborne the question came back.

The very question arrised at this or maybe another forum (like Scale) as someone wanted to build the thing, but larger too.

First magazine reference was to something made near entirely out of Foam, and it sort of resembled the A/C but left a lot to be desired.

Next plan reference was one from a magazine of few years later on that was basically out of Fiberglass, and had foam wings. It looked like one, but know of no place to locate the fiberglass fuselage.

Next plan was a good decade later on (like around 2000), and it was of built up construction. Much easier for you to modify via enlargment. I think this plan had more flexibiltity shown too. My best bet, as ALL of the plans were created (and shown in some UK based magazine) well after the A/C was out of production.

Keep us informed on this venture too. Just don't think of building to fit some AMT kit.

Wm.