Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

New balsa supplier

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 01:12 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New balsa supplier

I recently heard of a new balsa supply business in Southern California which specializes in contest quality balsa. It does not deal in plywoods either.

All I know is that it is nowhere near the large metro Los Angeles area and it is run by a lady going by the name of Kat.

Ever heard of this place?

Wm.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:06 PM
dicknadine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have tried to reach them at address listed, (some place), no answer either. hard to beat Lone Star. am going thru last order of $271. for 14 foot Flying Quaker, electric.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:28 PM
CoosBayLumber

I received e:mail about two days ago. The new firm isn't new, but is just the same obscure. The firm is moreover in the import/export business. It is called Katmar Products and located in Romoland Calif.

If you are familiar with Fred Dunn who designed the Astro-Hog of 1958, you are then familiar with the firm. Fred is now in a local hospital with Alheimzer's disease. It is being run by Kathleen Dunn on a mail order basis only.

Stock seems to come and go, as there never was an emphasis on balsa sales. Prices are within one-two cents of everyone else out there on common wood. However, the contest quality wood is of excellant quality, and at about 2/3 to 3/4 the price of everyone else. We cut mainly contest quality wood locally.

If interested in the higher quality wood at lower costs, contact: [email protected]

Wm.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:14 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally posted by dicknadine
....14 foot Flying Quaker, electric.
I WANT PICS AND I WANT THEM NOW!!!!!

Sounds like a Duzzy of a project. Details?
Old 07-19-2003, 12:19 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Fred Dunn..... wow, theres a name out of the past. It's sad to hear that he's got the big "A". He's one of the names that forged the hobby in general and my intrests in particular in the 60's when I first got into this as a young teenager. I've still got American Modellers and RCM's with his pictures and models in them.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane and the E'dress for the firm. I'm in need of some good wood to complement my selected hobby shop stuff. I'll pop them a query for a price list.
Old 07-19-2003, 03:32 AM
CoosBayLumber

First time I ever remember seeing Fred Dunn was about 1960 when he and others came a did a Model A/C demonstration at the Riverside airport for a big show. That airshow convinced me to give up controlline and go radio. Took three more years though.

Saw him again in late 1970's with a Model A Ford group meeting, and he (and three others attending) was pretty well down about model flying in general. I think this blew over with time and he got into flying once more.

I still have to original article and plans from 1958. The Berkeley kit was slightly different than the article. Then when Sigafoos got it it evolved yet some more. There is yet another original design of it done about 1965 using even larger power and transistor radios.

Can't stay in one place too long.

Wm.