Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

building a rubber band powered flying wing

Hey everyone!
    I'm currently trying to build a rubber band powered airplane that stays aloft for around two minutes. After some research, I thought that a flying wing with a rubber band shaft in the fuselage might be a good idea. The only question I have is if the flying wing should have a delta or swept back wing configuration. Any thoughts on the idea will be greatly appreciated. By the way, I'm pretty new to this stuff so I'm not that knowledgeable.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: building a rubber band powered flying wing

Welcome to the RCU forums!

This is a book that I recommend for your project:

http://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Powered...der_0938716190

It can be found in most of public libraries, if you prefer not to buy it.

This is a great website of a group of free flyers that design their own models powered by rubber bands:

http://pensacolafreeflight.org/pageD...p?pageid=13152

If you contact them, I am sure you will learn much.

Regards
    Lnewqban - "God will not look you over for medals, degrees or diplomas, but for scars. He has achieved success who has worked well, laughed often, and loved much." - Elbert Hubbard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would take your thoughts directly over to the aerodynamics section here. Those guys can answer much of anything.

Also consider going to SAMTalk, for are a lot of rubber powered guys there too. You will easily fit in.

Wm.
    Thousands of Laser Cut parts, thousands
    And plans too

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Welcome to RCU. I'm a long time free flight flyer in addtion to dabbling with RC so your project intrests me.

The sad truth is that only the most extreme of model will get the motor long enough that you can fly for two minutes in dead air in the outdoors. We usually rely on some thermal help to get smaller models to fly for more than around 60 to 80 seconds. Now if you're looking at an indoor model then you can easily make a design that will fly for 2 minutes but you'll need to learn to work with delicate structures and covering materials.

What sort of size were you thinking of? And do consider that you won't manage this with off the shelf rubber bands. You'll need to mail away for a supply of continuous strip rubber that you then make up your motors out of. But if you want to start out with something more modest that can fly for up to a minute that would be doable with the longer rubber bands that you can buy at the stationary stores.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....