Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Ever use plans from Cleveland Model & Supply Co

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Ever use plans from Cleveland Model & Supply Co

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 07:18 PM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ever use plans from Cleveland Model & Supply Co

Was thinking of buying a set of plans for a Waco UPF-7, one of my favorite planes. Does anyone have exp. with any plans from them?
Red
Old 02-23-2010, 07:36 PM
allanflowers

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default RE: Ever use plans from Cleveland Model & Supply Co

As I remember they have a good selection. I got a DH-2 plan from them a few years ago and it was useful but not great. I got the 1/8th scale version but it is really a 1/12 or 1/16 scale blown up. It is also of a rubber motored model.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I looked into this years back and a couple of old timers said they were useful for outlines and incedences. You would need to be a builder to redesign on the fly. Which can be fun sometimes.
Edwin
Old 02-23-2010, 07:59 PM
redbiscuits

Well, I'll take that as 2 strikes against them. Guess I'll move on. The YMF-3 Pica might have to do.
Red
Old 02-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Edwin

If you're looking for a waco, the ama plans service has the pica waco and templates for all the parts.
Edwin
Old 02-23-2010, 11:44 PM
TFF

All the planes were designed as rubber but in reality they were more static display. If the plans are platinum or gold they would make a pretty good plane. I have bought them. They have not sold anything different for at least 30 years when I was a kid.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:49 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

I've used Cleveland plans. As stated above, they ere designed for rubber power, so a few mods are needed. Many of their plans have a lot of detail in them (great for scale builds).

1. If using glow/gas power, you will need to beef up the nose area to take the vibration from the engines. If you are using electric power, MOST OF THE TIME you will be OK as per plan.

2. You will need to "create" the control surfaces (based on the scale locations) and modify the structure to accomodate movable surface (a TE to insert the hinges in)

I have built several of their plans and they flew great. The last one I did was a Bellanca AirBus.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43090.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1385668  
Old 02-24-2010, 05:12 AM
kestrel0222

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have tried to use there plans in the past. They are as stated above, originally designed for rubber power and simply enlarged to other scales. I purchased the set of plans for a 1/6 scale P6-E Hawk and soon realized that they were useless to me except maybe using them for the outline of the plane! I ended up returning them and got my money back. I not saying that they are unusable, just that they were not what I expected. To build a model from these plans, you really need to work at it to get a structure that is usable.

I too was trying to find a good set of plans for the Waco UPF-7, I came across "Vintage R/C Plans" and ordered a set from them. They are expensive, but I ordered them anyway. When I received the plans, I soon realized that there were MANY discrepancies in the outline of the plane. Well, I did keep these plans but I do decide to actually build this plane, I will have to make changes to arrive at a more "scale" outline.

As for the Waco UMF-3/5 (Pica plans), you can download them free at http://www.houseofmoy.com/waco/ . They have both the 1/6 & 1/5 scale plans.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:37 AM
Edwin

Do the plans at that web site have the templates for all the parts. I have the pica plans from a long time ago, but not the templates.
Edwin
Old 02-24-2010, 09:42 AM
CoosBayLumber

ORIGINAL: TFF

All the planes were designed as rubber but in reality they were more static display. If the plans are platinum or gold they would make a pretty good plane. I have bought them. They have not sold anything different for at least 30 years when I was a kid.

I think so too.

The plans done during WW2 were of the prototypes, and contain errors. As I heard those of the bomber set are not too accurate. After WW2, many got corrected, if sales justifyied, but evey now and then an original pops up, and is then sold as a corrected copy. During the 1950's Ed then ahd more time to measure and draw up A/C plans of the jet era. Was an article about what hapened in two issus of the KAPA Quarterly back a few years ago.

Those of the 1930's ought to be accurate as to outline though. Gotta watch the dates for they are not advertised in the old brochures nor on the plan.

Wm.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:44 AM
CoosBayLumber

ORIGINAL: Edwin

Do the plans at that web site have the templates for all the parts. I have the pica plans from a long time ago, but not the templates.
Edwin
A few of the Pica plans via Platt were featured in RCM years earlier. The RCM plans have the templates, and NOT the kit plans.

Wm.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:02 PM
kestrel0222

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At http://www.houseofmoy.com/waco/ , they have the templates for the 1/5 scale Waco. What I did, was download those templates and print them out at a scale factor, it worked GREAT!!!

I don't think RCM did the construction article for the Waco, (at least they don't have the plans for it)? [sm=confused.gif]
Old 02-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Edwin

Thanks Tom.
Edwin
Old 02-25-2010, 12:23 PM
redbiscuits

Hey Edwin,
I went ahead and bought that 1/6 Pica Waco from the estate sale. Going to hook up with Robin in the morning.
Will finish that one out and then see if I can scratch build the 1/5 scale.
Red.(gary)
Old 02-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Edwin

Waco's are my favorite biplane, along with the stearman. But then the P90 is a good one too. And then the busa D7, what a nice plane. Oh well, guess I like bipes more than I thought. Current favorite is the sig SunDancer with a G62.
Edwin
Old 02-25-2010, 02:46 PM
Edwin

Waco's are my favorite biplane, along with the stearman. But then the P90 is a good one too. And then the busa D7, what a nice plane. Oh well, guess I like bipes more than I thought. Current favorite is the sig SunDancer with a G62. Found another at the Georgetown swapmeet.
Edwin