Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Ignorant Question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 04:15 PM
Crash Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignorant Question(s)

Forgive my ignorance, but I bring this question (or questions) to the table as RCU is the place for answers. I know nothing about balsa, but I need for information, input, opinions, etc in order to make better informed decisions.

From what I can tell, balsa here in the US is mostly soft and very lightweight. If a model could be built from a wood material, other than the standard balsa that we are use to seeing, that is a hard wood (not a hardwood like oak) and was just as light or lighter than balsa, would this make for a sound model?

The reason I ask this is that I have the opportunity to buy a couple of models (extremely inexpensive) that are not made of balsa, but is claimed to be just as light using a different kind of wood that is very hard. I have read posts here about people complaining about VMAR using some off the wall kind of wood that was hard and brittle and I am curious about alternative wood materials.

Any input, comments, opinions, etc from those who are in the know would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-13-2003, 04:39 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Without knowing more about the material being used and seeing how it's used it's impossible to offer any opinion.

Certainly there have been many successful models built without balsa in them. In prewar Germany when balsa was not available they used pine and spruce in thinner than normal veneers and small section sticks to build many fine flying glider, gas and rubber powered models. Back in the 60's Bill Northrup built the Spruce Goose biplane using balsa only for nose blocks around the engine. The rest was all built up using spruce including the ribs! Way too much work for ME....

So yes you can build without balsa but you need to pick your woods and use much smaller section material in appropriate ways to maintain lightness without sacrificing strength. If you just sub the harder woods for balsa without any other changes it'll be unlikely to leave the ground.
Old 07-13-2003, 06:32 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are many ways to build without balsa. Foam board, coreoplast, foam, pine , bass wood etc. I build many of the larger models and often use pine or spruce for all longerons, spars etc. You can build just as light and just as strong without balsa, you just have to use a little common sense in what material you use at the different locations. As far as balsa goes, it ranges from very hard and dense to very soft and spongy, depending on the source and cut. Many sales sources let you choose the density you want, usually stated in pounds/cubic foot.