Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Maiden flight!

Old 03-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Popriv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maiden flight!

I got the chance to maiden my SSCombat plane.
I've built by plans before but this is my 1st from scratch including my first foam cut wings.

Tapered wings are 8.5" at the root and 5" at the tip + 1.5" ailerons. - 59" wing span - Weight = 2.8 lbs. - OS .15LA - Clark Y airfoil

Went to the local sand pit to make the first flight. After a little fussing with the engine I was ready to give it a toss.
at just about full throttle it flew off straight and level. I climbed to a good hight and my 1st turn was uneventful.
Tried to take it easy, coming back towards me it was going down and it took full elevator to get it to climb.
took a few seconds to switch elevator to high rates and that helped with the climbing.

I flew 6-7 cuircuts then brought it in for landing. It floated alot better than the Coroplast Gnat I was flying. I think if I had more speed I could have flaired a little at the end? as it was I plopped it into the sand. Didnt break the prop! ( no landing gear). OK, first flight in so I'll head to the club field tommorow. Hopefully one of the guys with more experiance can help with trimming and adjustments.

steve

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29494.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1392314  
Old 03-07-2010, 10:37 PM
prgonzalez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Maiden flight!

Congratulations with your SSCombat and your 1st foam wing cut. That's a good wing span you did.