Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Equavalent material

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 03:44 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Equavalent material

Disregarding weight, a model that I am working on, has a one and only fuselage bulkhead made up of 3/16 inch thick balsa. I only got one slab here and it ain't big enough.

Can I substitute in some 1/16 inch plywood, of which I got a bunch of, or is 1/8 inch birch plywood or 1/8 inch light plywood the same strength then?

Wm.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:11 PM
waterloged

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Equavalent material

why not take 3 pieces of 1/16th and epoxy them togeather? you're piece would be very strong and you could have the right size then.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Laird SS

3 pieces of 1/16 plywood glued together with a wood glue like Titebond will probably be as strong and maybe even lighter. Cut the pieces so that the grain will run at right angles to each other. Also be sure to clamp the pieces together while the glue is drying.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:28 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Laird SS

3 pieces of 1/16 plywood glued together with a wood glue like Titebond will probably be as strong and maybe even lighter. Cut the pieces so that the grain will run at right angles to each other. Also be sure to clamp the pieces together while the glue is drying.
Plywood normally has the plies inside running 90 degrees to each other. Three pieces of 1/16 inch plywood ought to be SUBSTANTIALLY stronger than one slab of common old balsa. Doubt that it will be lighter though.

Wm.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:46 AM
kdc

Some models have bulkheads made from 3/32 or 1/8 pieces ( wide strips ) overlapped at the corners and then then the other side is filled in with another piece to make it flush. Makes a 3/16 or 1/4 bulkhead from little material. Best to make the main shape and then cut out the notches for longerons etc after glue has dried.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:51 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Go with the 1/8 ply and just make the lightening holes larger. Or if there are no holes add them. The difference in weight from one single former will be negligable.