Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

A new sport plane using Stick 40+ parts

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

A new sport plane using Stick 40+ parts

Old 03-28-2010, 09:04 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A new sport plane using Stick 40+ parts

Many years ago I crashed a BUSA Stick 40+ and saved the wing and stab. They were covered in a pink fabric called Polytex, from Davis Diesel, which is no longer available. But the fabric showed up beautifully in the evening or on cloudy days, so I couldn't just trash the flying surfaces.

I was totally bored with the Stick when I crashed it. I built it in order to join in a club project, not because I needed a trainer. I actually still enjoy trainers, and this one flew fine, but it was really ugly.

So now I've cooked up a new fuse for the wing and stab. I've done some improvising like this before, but this is the closest I've come to designing an RC plane. "Designing" is probably too good a word for what I'm doing. It's a sketch on graph paper, but I'm working out the structure as I go along. For anyone who hasn't tried this yet, I have to tell you I'm having a ball. I keep creating problems for myself...every solution gives me a new problem. But none of them are that difficult, and it's really fun and absorbing to work it out.

The wing will be on the bottom instead of the top, so I made a hole in the top of the wing for the aileron servo lead, and covered up the hole in the bottom where the servo went in. The stab/elevator are the same as they were on the Stick 40+.

The wing is flat-bottomed; I'm not trying to build a pattern plane, just something for horsing around, and more than anything, to try my hand at coming up with my own plane. Here's what I've got so far:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96185.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1406827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97681.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1406828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30854.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1406829  
Old 03-28-2010, 09:12 PM
buzzard bait

Default RE: A new sport plane using Stick 40+ parts

The end of the fuse is 3/4 inch thick, to provide a good base for the stab, so then I wanted the rudder to match. I used paired 3/8 inch triangle stock at the leading edge of the rudder to give the thickness and provide the bevel. Then sheet balsa rudder with a sharp taper to the trailing edge. This will be covered in a bit of the pink fabric I have left over.

The engine compartment will be open to the tank so you can see the fuel level; the tank will be removable from the front. The engine will mount on a horizontal plywood plate which will be bolted to the hardwood bearers. That will make it possible to switch engines by switching mounting plates. It is set up to be compatible with 4-strokes. I've got an ancient Saito 40 Mk.III (which is in excellent shape and stronger than I would have thought), and an Enya 53. I'll be able to run either one. I'm sure I'll prefer the Enya, but if I build something else for it, the Saito should still be nice in it.

Jim

Name:	Zx71789.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1406830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93345.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1406831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86771.jpg
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1406832  
Old 03-29-2010, 05:30 PM
buzzard bait

Default RE: A new sport plane using Stick 40+ parts

Installed landing gear (temporarily) and put the wing on to see how it's looking. Coming up: engine installation, rudder covering, completing the balsa "canopy". Here I'm copying Rainedave's method that he used on his Sure Shark. It's 18 inches long, so I didn't try looking for a ready-made one, and it's just a sport model, so painted balsa will do fine.

Anybody following this? Should I keep going?

Jim

Name:	Us54281.jpg
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	1407440