Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Another 'HOTS' only bigger !

Attached the bottom sheeting today and bolted the undercarrage in it`s final position.

We put the engine and wing in place to see how the CofG was looking, it`s showing to be tail heavy but it still has to have the spinner, tank, cowl and exhaust added up front, so it`s not too bad.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: john josey

ORIGINAL: flygilmore

Looking great!!!!!!
    Hows the super hots coming along ? have you decided what engine to use ?
    Mine is doing great....I will use the Saito .82. I have the wing, tail and most of the fuse done. Have to add the upper deck sheeting now.
    I didn\'\'\'\'t choose Mojo, Mojo chose me PRO BRO #1963

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: john josey

Looking great!!!!!!
    Hows the super hots coming along ? have you decided what engine to use ?
    Mine is doing great....I will use the Saito .82. I have the wing, tail and most of the fuse done. Have to add the upper deck sheeting now.
    Good stuff, i`ll be starting the cowl this week hopefully, the secondthe spinnerpops through the letter box

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A couple of pictures of the servo and mount instalation.  You can see my prefered elevator set-up with the double ball link top and bottom of the servo arm. As i suspected the throttle servo mounted inverted.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had a quick check to see if the battery would fit under the throttle snake in the tank bay, and fortunatly it does.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The spinner finaly arrived from the US today, which means i can now carry on and get the cowl done.

The first job was to cut out the 3mm lite ply 'cowl ring' and the 1.5mm spacer to achieve the gap. The two pieces are stuck together with 'wig' tape.

I couldent be bothered to dig out the scroll saw so i had to do it the hard way, 6mm drill bit and the dremel.

Spot tacked to the back of the spinner untill the first piece of cowl holds it in place.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The best way i have found to get the correct lenth and angles of the cowl parts is to use two small lenths of sheet balsa cut to 1/2" strips.

Using the sander to get the angles near enough.

It`s much easier to move two separate pieces to the correct lenth/angle than trying to cut it from one.

And then you use this as a template to mark out the 1/2" sheet.

The first piece is cut to the width of the 'top' of the fusalage and the sander is used to take it to it`s final shape.

The first piece glued in place with epoxy.

I maybe stating the obvious here but it may be worth noting that you need to tighten the prop and spinner as you would in use or you will almost certinaly loose the gap that you went to the bother of making the 1.5mm ply ring for.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It`s the same idea for the bottom and the two sides which just leaves the two tricky angle pieces which i`ll do tomorrow.

Just checking the gap.

I leveled the fusalage and checked the ply ring for square off the bench before i glued the bottom piece in place.

Luckily with this model the datum line is easy to find and it was just a matter of a couple of pins for the level to sit on.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great tutorial John.
    Unfortunatly I wonΒ΄t be able to use it for much this time as I have abandoned the idea of making a cowl. There simply isnΒ΄t room because of the big engine that canΒ΄t be mounted on a traditional beam-mount.
    I guess I could make a fiberglass cowl that would contain the engine, but thatΒ΄s too much work for a simple everyday model. Besides I would have to find paint that matches the yellow and black of the rest of the model.

Attached are a few pictures showing the build up until a few days ago.

This evening I covered the wing, the fuselage section attached to the wing, the ailerons, flaps, elevators and the bottom of the fuse. I also made a panel that contains the two switches for the radio and ignition, and the two chargejacks for the A123 packs. This will be mounted on the fuselage side aft of the wing within easy reach.

I also started figuring out the connection to the carburettor which will be accomplished by using a standard plastic covered pull-pull wire to open the carb, thereby letting the built-in spring do the closing. A frien uses the same system on his G62 powered Giant Stinger with great success.

I have drilled a small hole through the wing mounting bolts and inserted a small piano "L" which prevents the bolts from dropping out of the fuselage fixing plate. That way I have only two 7mm (1/4in) holes in the bottom fuselage through which I can tighten the two wing bolts. Seems to work OK.

The initial fingers-under-the-wing indicates a slight tail-heavyness, but I will have to check up on that when the model is complete. All-up weight looks to be close to 5,5kg (12lb).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ts62353.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	1432576   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mj24469.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	1432569   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Id96502.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	1432570   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lq36514.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	1432571   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qk21822.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	1432572  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rc39887.jpg 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	1432573   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sj72852.jpg 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	1432574   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ya57080.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	1432575  
    Regards
    Tinus

Flying:
    BUSA 1:3 scale Super Cub / Zenoah 80

Building:
    Frisch 1:3 scale PZL Wilga / King 140RV
    Own design 1:3 scale Yak-50 / Geared Zenoah 124 inline

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thats coming on a treat mate !!!

Some good ideas, especially the 'pull pull' on the throttle. I`ve never heard of this before but like you i think it would work a treat, i see no downside to it at all.

I kind of wondered how practical the wooden cowl would be on yours, and i do understand what you mean about trying to match the paint to the covering (can be a real pain)

As for the all up weight, i`m not sure how it`s coming along in that area, initially i was hoping for around the 12lb mark but after the first 'weigh in' i was kind of hoping for a bit less.

I would think at this rate were both no more than a week or two away from the maiden flight.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Based on the difference in size and the general "lightness" of your build compared to my plywood monster IΒ΄m guessing you will come in far below 12lb, more likely 8-9lb. My engine including silencer, ignition and battery weighs in at 2kg (4,4lb), and I have 8 full size servos at a combined weight of around 0,4kg (1lb).
    Just on these items alone your should save at least 1kg (2,2lb) if not more.
    Unfortunately I wonΒ΄t be able to work on the Hots the whole of next week, so it will proporbly be at least 2 weeks before mine takes to the skies. But IΒ΄m looking forward to it.. :-)
    Regards
    Tinus

Flying:

Building:

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

8 or 9lb ? oh that would be sweet !    i`d be lying if i said i didn`t have any concerns about the 91 glow being enough for it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Todays update.

The wing is now finished and the only thing left to do is to adjust the length of the linkages. These are made from M3 threaded rod which will be stiffened by inserting them into a 4/3mm carbon tube.

There is still some work left on the fuselage but it will be ready to cover soon.

Name:	Xv65326.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	1432871   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bw72793.jpg 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	1432872   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sy63547.jpg 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	1432873   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bv59330.jpg 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	1432874  
    Regards
    Tinus

Flying:

Building:

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Managed to get the cowl finished today.

A few pictures of the final pieces being added.

I used the bandsaw to get the awkward angles cut

If it`s not ready by this weekend it definetly will be for the following.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pretty much the last thing to be done apart from the covering is the hole for the engine and exhaust.

Getting there.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just checking the gap before final sand and covering.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I weighed the model again and it came out at 1.9 kilos and then weighed the engine, exhaust, undercarrage, tank and most of the parts still to be fitted which came out at 0.9 kilos. the only things that have to be added to that are the wheels and aileron servos. so going on that, it`s looking good to end up at under 7lbs which i`m absolutley delighted with.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been beavering on with the Hots build and IΒ΄m quite close to being finished.
    Got the last of the covering done today. I may throw on some more black trim along with some markings, but that can wait. For now this will have to do.
    I also made the last of the servo extensions and mounted the tail servos along with the throttle servo. Having finished that I have started doing the final fitting of ignition, RX and batteries.

I will be fitting two A123 2S 1100 packs, one for the RX and one for the ignition. I know that this is not much capacity, but I already have the packs and having the charge jacks on the outside enables me to charge during the day with ease. I have a Hyperion LiFe 2S 2100 pack on order. This is destined for my Pitts Special, but could be mounted in the Hots if I find that the 1100mAh capacity is a bit short.

BTW. I also got the new sticks I ordered for my TX. These have 3 position switches at the top which enables me to have my fingers on the sticks at all times even while manipulating flaps, retracts etc. For this model I will have 3 flight phases, Normal, Aerobatic and Landing, all switched by the right switch.

Name:	Ki20109.jpg 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	1438964   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq52568.jpg 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	1438965   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sx61502.jpg 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	1438966   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sl27133.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	1438967  
    Regards
    Tinus

Flying:

Building:

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So...how are the Hots coming along? Been quite a while and no update!!
    I didn\'\'\'\'t choose Mojo, Mojo chose me PRO BRO #1963

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well. I got mine finished lacking only final balancing. I have to move the GC forward 1 to 1,5 in.

But my most immediate problem is that I canΒ΄t get the engine to run properly now. It ran fine on the teststand but after being mounted in the model it will not idle anymore. It will run on the fuel pulled forward when choking, but as soon as this is used up the engine quits.
    If I go to at least 1/3 to 1/2 thottle immidiately, the engine will keep running, but as soon as I lower the idle anymore the engine will quit.
    The carb is a new WT610 bought on ebay, but thinking that it may have been used afterall I rebuilt it with new gaskets and diagphram, which made no difference. I tried putting on another carb I had available and with this it will idle all day long. So IΒ΄m down to trying to blow out the WT610 or maybe soaking it in some sort of cleaning agent.

Final weight before balancing came out a little heavy at 13,2 lb, but the engine should still be plenty strong.
    Regards
    Tinus

Flying:

Building:

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My brother and his good lady had a little baby boy last weekend, so thats kept me away from the hots for a bit plus all the general maintenance for the stuff i fly on a regular basis, but normal service should be resumed in the next day or two.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thats the covering finished, just really the final assembly and test flight at the weekend.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just maidened my Hots this evening.
    I put in 6 flights and it seems to fly very nicely although its a bit touchy on both elevator and ailerons. This could be caused by a slight tailheavyness, but itΒ΄s quite managable.
    Final weight with 12oz of lead in the nose is 13,8lb, and with the 35cc Bully it still has unlimited vertical. I plan on changing to a prop with more pitch, possibly an APC 18x12 or a 16x12 3-blade, to lower the rpm and thereby cutting down on the noise. ItΒ΄s not bad with the rather large Zimmermann DA-50 canister, but the engine takes an APC 18x10 up to about 7900rpm on the ground, so it gets a bit noisy going full steam.

The model seems to track very well at speed. If you put it into a 20Β° dive, it stays in a 20Β° dive. Same thing happes going upwards.

I have programmed an "Aerobatic" flight phase giving me full span ailerons by having the flaps travel with the ailerons. With about 25-30Β° throw rolls are VERY fast. Maybe 2 rolls per second, so I have programmed 30% expo, but I think I will try a bit more.
    This setting also slaves the ailerons and flaps to elevator input. So when putting in up elevator both flaps and ailerons travel down 10Β° or so. The opposite happens with down elevator.

During the "Landing" phase the flaps goes down about 40Β° and the ailerons about 30Β° I guess. This provides some braking and there is still plenty of aileron control.

I will try to snap a few pictures the next time IΒ΄m at the field.
    Regards
    Tinus

Flying:

Building:

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Pelle Gris

I just maidened my Hots this evening.
    I put in 6 flights and it seems to fly very nicely although its a bit touchy on both elevator and ailerons. This could be caused by a slight tailheavyness, but it´s quite managable.
    Final weight with 12oz of lead in the nose is 13,8lb, and with the 35cc Bully it still has unlimited vertical. I plan on changing to a prop with more pitch, possibly an APC 18x12 or a 16x12 3-blade, to lower the rpm and thereby cutting down on the noise. It´s not bad with the rather large Zimmermann DA-50 canister, but the engine takes an APC 18x10 up to about 7900rpm on the ground, so it gets a bit noisy going full steam.

The model seems to track very well at speed. If you put it into a 20° dive, it stays in a 20° dive. Same thing happes going upwards.

I have programmed an "Aerobatic" flight phase giving me full span ailerons by having the flaps travel with the ailerons. With about 25-30° throw rolls are VERY fast. Maybe 2 rolls per second, so I have programmed 30% expo, but I think I will try a bit more.
    This setting also slaves the ailerons and flaps to elevator input. So when putting in up elevator both flaps and ailerons travel down 10° or so. The opposite happens with down elevator.

During the "Landing" phase the flaps goes down about 40° and the ailerons about 30° I guess. This provides some braking and there is still plenty of aileron control.

I will try to snap a few pictures the next time I´m at the field.
    Exellent report

Just as a matter of interest where did you put theCofG for your first flights ?

I`m hoping to get this one ready for the weekend (fingers crossed)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast