Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Another 'HOTS' only bigger !

Right now the CG is somewhere between 30-33% chord and here it is a bit touchy. But it still tracks straight as an arrow from horizon to horizon at speed, so it could also be down to too much throw or too little expo on the elevators. I have to do a few more flights to see if anything needs changing.

One of the peculier traits of the Hots is that it dives quite a bit when the throttle is closed. Same thing happens during takeoff at low speed. Once you use a bit of up elevator to rotate you need to hold up elevator until quite a bit of speed has been built up. Otherwise it will dive into the ground again. It almost took me by surprice during the first takeoff.

Everything is laid out at 0Β°. Engine, wing and tailplane, but I may have to experiment with the downthrust of the engine.
    It needed very little trim on the elevators so I guess itΒ΄s not too far off.
    Regards
    Tinus

Flying:
    BUSA 1:3 scale Super Cub / Zenoah 80

Building:
    Frisch 1:3 scale PZL Wilga / King 140RV
    Own design 1:3 scale Yak-50 / Geared Zenoah 124 inline

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

At last the final install is done, just the throws to set up on the TX, fill with fuel and fly hopefully sunday.

We decided to add a set of spats from an old cap 232 which i think look great ?

All up weight without fuel came out at just over 7lb which i`m delighted at !

Ok, maybe nearer 7.5lb, but still much less than my initial prediction.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking good, and good luck with the maiden.
    Weighing in at only 7,5lb it should be a real floater, even easier to fly than mine, and at 13,8lb mineΒ΄s still able to fly rather slowly during landing.
    Regards
    Tinus

Flying:

Building:

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

She asked if i would buy her a new bike, this is not what i thought she had in mind !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Pelle Gris

Looking good, and good luck with the maiden.
    Weighing in at only 7,5lb it should be a real floater, even easier to fly than mine, and at 13,8lb mine´s still able to fly rather slowly during landing.
    Thanks

I`vehave been concerned from day one about the OS91 being enough, but at this weight i`m quietly confident (fingers crossed)

I`ll try and get some video of the maiden at the weekend if i can.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I`m quite relieved this is now finished, no more building for me this year. I have a bit of maintenence on my toni clarke pitts but apart from that i`m gonna try and do a fair bit of flying this summer. (keep the building for the winter)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A few pictures from yesterdays outing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge94975.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	1456326   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Up48123.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	1456327  
    Regards
    Tinus

Flying:

Building:

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just before the maiden flight.

The owner did the take-off and i did the landing. It was possibly the easiest first flight i`ve ever had, a few clicks of up and left aileron and a slight increase in aileron movement was all we did to it. I think we had around 7 flights with no issues with the 91FX.

There is enough power for unlimited vertical which was my biggest concern. The only negative thing i can say is it`s maybe a bit too light, there was quite a wind blowing yesterday and we had to drop the tickover speed to an uncomfortable level to gat it back on the deck !

I`ll try and get some video of it next sunday if i can.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I feel the need.... The need for speed.........

Having no luck getting the Webra Bully to run reliably I have decided to change the engine. A look at the shelves revealed several engines, but the one that was selected was my old reliable G-62. It was either that or the GT-80, so the 62 will have to do. :-)

Since I already had the RCexl ignition system mounted in the model I elected to buy a conversion kit for the 62 too. This consists of a plastic hallsensor bracket and a new aluminium hub, and shaves 370g (0,8lb) of the engine, so all up weight, less ignition, is now 1700g (3,7lb). The RCexl ignition module weighs about 110g (0,25lb)
    The 35cc Webra Bully that it replaces weighs 1400g (3,1lb) less ignition, and with this engine I had to put 350g (0,77lb) of lead in the nose for it to balance. So by removing the lead I end up with a model weighing the same as before, but now with quite a bit more power.
    A 71in, 13,8lb HOTS with a G-62 HAS to be fun... :-)

Because of low ground clearence I will be using a MenzS 18x12 4-blade prop as this is about the max diameter possible.

By making a 5mm aluminum plate for fixing the engine I was able to use the existing mountingholes from the Bully.
    The engine is mounted now, and I only need to route the throttle pull-wire and solder up a new header. The canister I used on the Bully is originally for a DA-50 and should work well on the G-62 too. According to data provided by Toni Clark in germany this canister will enable the engine to spin an Engel Supersilence 23x12 and 24x10 at around 6800rpm which is quite a bit more than stock.

Name:	Xv63912.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	1463466   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh18955.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	1463467  
    Regards
    Tinus

Flying:

Building:

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

*PROFANITY REMOVED* Tinus ? That`s got to be impressive ?

I have the G62 inΒ*my toni clark pittsΒ*and it weighs around 20 lb

You have to post some video of that thing mate !

Edited to remove non family word spelled in a sneaky manner to avoid the profanity filter. Please don't do that again.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Funnily enough I just pulled the G-62 from my own Toni Clark Pitts Special... :-)
    ItΒ΄s in need of some TLC and a new cowl, so I might as well use the engine in the meantime.

On the pitts I have been using a MenzS 26x8 with squared off tips, and painted like the real prop. It looks good but the 8in pitch does make it quite slow, so I have though about stuffing my GT-80 into the Pitts instead. That way I will be able to run a scale size prop with adaquate pitch to provide a bit more speed.
    Regards
    Tinus

Flying:

Building:

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Funnily enough I just pulled the G-62 from my own Toni Clark Pitts Special... :-)
    Oooh, spooky stuff We seem to have similar tastes in fixed wing aircraft. I`ve seriously concidered putting the OS flat four on it, it`s almost identical in power and weight to the G62 but i just dont think it would sound right ?

Any chance of some pics of your TC pitts ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi John.

At the moment I only have one picture of my Pitts, and thatΒ΄s a few years old. At the time it was still powered by the original Quadra 35 with "banana" tuned pipe. The model itself is bought used and itΒ΄s about 20-25 years old I guess. Back when the Quadra was the hottest engine around... :-)

Empty weight with the G-62 was 7,6kg (16,8lb) and one of the reasons for the light weight lies in the fact that it only has 4 servos installed. One HS645 drives all 4 ailerons as was originally planned. Despite a little slack it works very well.

The builder did however make a mistake during the construction. The plans indicate 2,5Β° positive incidence on the tailplane, but "my" builder decided that he was way more clever than Toni Clark/Gerhard Reinch, so he installed the tailplane at 0Β°. This makes it nessesary for me to put in quite a bit of down elevator during level flight, and when inverted it takes a healthy push on the elevator stick to keep level.

So I have a renovation planned for (hopefully) next winter. There the missalignment will be dealt with, along with a general refinishing, and the mounting of the GT-80. That should swing a painted up 26x10 prop with plenty of power for scale flight.

Name:	Rp43314.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	1464639  
    Regards
    Tinus

Flying:

Building:

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi John.

The builder did however make a mistake during the construction. The plans indicate 2,5° positive incidence on the tailplane, but "my" builder decided that he was way more clever than Toni Clark/Gerhard Reinch, so he installed the tailplane at 0°. This makes it nessesary for me to put in quite a bit of down elevator during level flight, and when inverted it takes a healthy push on the elevator stick to keep level.
    Ahh, that is a bummer mate ! They even give you the tapered balsa pieces for doing it in the kit.

In all the years i`ve been building model aeroplanes i can honastly say my TC pitts is the only one that never needed even a click of trim from day one.

I 100% agree with you, it`s something that 'must' be sorted.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here a Big Hot blow up! we never finish the plane...6 inches thick rib, 30 inches wide panel, 12 feet wingspan.... maybe one day we will do it, we call this monster Scarfo !

Name:	mj24317.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	795.6 KB 
ID:	1490754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cx76060.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	793.4 KB 
ID:	1490755   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	va71631.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	783.0 KB 
ID:	1490756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sm29459.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	779.2 KB 
ID:	1490757   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yv66182.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	1490758  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ql33683.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	1490759   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wc77586.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	1490760   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jd88763.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	178.0 KB 
ID:	1490761   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bm74594.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	1490762   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vm81812.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	1490763  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jl95173.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	1490764  
    Aircraft Modelers Research inc
    Michel Normandin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Any of you good folks have the CG for the Ultra-Hots? I scored a really nice one in a recent trade and have installed new flight gear and an OS GT 33 on the front along with a new cowl. Guessing, I think I am going to be ok by moving battery's, etc. I just need a solid starting point. I see that its been a while that anyone has posted here...........
    Thanks,
    Gizmo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Gizmo-RCU

Any of you good folks have the CG for the Ultra-Hots? I scored a really nice one in a recent trade and have installed new flight gear and an OS GT 33 on the front along with a new cowl. Guessing, I think I am going to be ok by moving battery's, etc. I just need a solid starting point. I see that its been a while that anyone has posted here...........
    Thanks,
    A good place to start is the main spar, it will be perfectly flyable from there. What weight is your ultra Hots ? i have the OS 33 in a 70" yak and it's producing over 20lb's of static thrust with the standard exhaust and a G-sonic 18x12.

Name:	Us55320.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	1843869  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Gizmo-RCU

Thanks,
    Do u have any pix of ur setup?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info on balance. I don't have any pictures as I still need to take the cowl off and paint it as well as hook up the throttle and choke. The plane had a big two cyl. Saito when built, it was long gone when I got the plane. It also had Futaba 131 nylon geared
    servos, now replaced. It was built from plans by someone who knew his "stuff". The weight will be in the 12.5 lb. range all-up after battery's, etc. It is a sheeted wing w/o foam core..........
    Photos after paint and full completion. It is at least two months until enough snow is gone to fly anyway. Hope the OS works out.....
    Thanks!
    Gizmo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You will have unlimited vertical with the 33 at that weight. It's a superb engine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks, keep you posted!
    Gizmo

OK, you've found another HOTS fan. I've built about a dozen .40 size Hots for myself and friends, and two .60 Hots for myself. A divorce caused the loss of my plans so just received my new sets for both. These are my next projects. I just love the way they fly and for a fun fly sport plane they cannot be beat for pure fun. I have the skiis from my old .40 sized hots, and they will be used again this winter. Skiis are also scratchbuilt from an old RCM article. Can't wait to get my new ones up and running.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I totally enjoyed your photos and build... I have just finished a Big Hots 91" with a DLE 55... It is fantastic... I gave the plans away and could not remember the CG location... The first flight was not fun... It was tail heavy and a three minute flight was a challenge... from the moment it jumped into the air it was a handful and the rest of the flight was approaches for landing... I now have extended the nose by 2" and added 40oz of weight... it is a dream to fly... no coupling... and no bad traits... I had the 40 sized version with a hot 45 and it was squirmy on take off... I just go used to it going one way or the other an stopped fighting it... it was off the ground so quick that it would track like it was on rails in the air and even for roll out on landing... to say the least I am very pleased with the performance and the flight characteristics of the big version... I love the way this plane spins and flat spins...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    John,

Just found your thread today and really enjoyed reading it. Funny how timing works out sometimes. I'm an old time builder, but new to the RC posts.

I just took down a Hots build I started in 2008, but stopped working on while planning a cross country move. Put it back on the workbench yesterday, after finishing four other planes this summer. I scratch build everything, and to make matters worse, draw my own plans - from just looking at photos - changing anything that suits me at the time.

Anyway, this Hots has an 84" span with a two piece wing - a real pain in the you-know-what to do. Now determined to get the job done. Engine is an OS 160, and expected weight is 8 pounds, so it will not be underpowered.

Thanks again for the inspiration to get this one finished…

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	2043919  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    What do you guys think of useing a DLE 35 for a 80" Ultra Hots?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast