Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

FUSELAGE CONSTRUCTION NEED HELP GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

FUSELAGE CONSTRUCTION NEED HELP GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Falcons Cuz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FUSELAGE CONSTRUCTION NEED HELP GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELLO GUYS
I AM STARTED GOOGELING ABOUT GAS POWERED RC AIRPLANES AND THEY SEEMS TO BE VERY INTERESTING SO AFTER THAT I DECIDED T BUILT MY OWN 1/4TH SCALE HIGH WING TYPE AIRCRAFT WHICH IS POWERED BY A 46cc GAS ENGINE BUT I AM A LITTLE WORRIRD ABOUT THE POWER OUTPUT OF THE ENGINE AND MUCH ABOUT ITS VIBERATIONS
AS IT IS A BIG SCALE AIRCRAFT SO TO KEEP THE COST LOW I WANT TO BUILT IT FRO PLY SHEETS SO THE PROBLEM I WAS HAVING IS THAT I WANT TO MAKE SUCH A STIFF AND LIGHT FUSELAGE WHICH CAN WITHSTAND ON THOSE VIBERATION AND LIGHT ENOUGH FOR A NICE FLIGHT SO BASICALLY I NEED SOME PICS OF 1/4 SCALE HIGH WING AIRPLANE FUSELAGE OR ANY CONSTRUCTION STUFF ABOUT FUSELAGE CONSTRUCTION OF RC AIRPLANES AND IF YOU GUYS HAVE SUGGESTIONS SO PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT THEM

ALSO TELL ME THAT IS IT OK TO USE PLY SHEETS INSTEAD OF BALSA

ANY SUGGESTION WOULD BE HIGHLY APPRICIATED
FALCON CUZ
Old 04-14-2010, 11:35 AM
limeybob
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: FUSELAGE CONSTRUCTION NEED HELP GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here's an old Effinger design.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69923.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	1417976  
Old 04-14-2010, 04:00 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It is also very common with those engines to use mounts that have rubber vibration blocks in them to help dampen the vibration getting to the model.

The goal with any model is to make the areas that need it strong but to then spread out the loads or vibration to the rest of the model in a way that uses tapered parts so that there's no sudden stress points. Sure you can use plywood but use it wisely. Don't just replace all the balsa in the plan with plywood and hardwood of the same sizes or the model will be far too heavy.

Also kill the all caps please. It's the internet equivalent of yelling at us.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:56 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

First of all you are going to want a 1/4 inch firewall with the higher number of laminations, no 3-5 ply stuff. You will probably HAVE to have solid sheet past the wing area..you will need some light ply doublers back that far also.

You really need to look at a lot of airplanes and plans, the size and type of motor you are using will not be forgiving to an under built test plane. That also can mean the motor coming of the firewall and AT SOMEBODY,OR YOU.. be careful.

There really are so many things to know, possibly you should build from existing plans, or modify in looks another proven design first..to get your toes wet.

Whatever you choose be aware that motor you are using is very strong and dangerous.

I am currently finishing up a Bud Nosen Giant trainer, it is basically exactly what you want to build..A guy on ebay sells the plans pretty cheap 20 bucks maybe. If you do build that you will want to move the firewall back about 5 inchs.

There are also newer complete kits out there that would be even nicer, just a matter of money.