Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Another scratch takes flight

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Another scratch takes flight

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 07:50 PM
glowhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another scratch takes flight

Another scratch takes flight...

I designed and built this airplane. It is very very smooth to fly. Very aerobatic, and does pattern well. The landings are great, settles down gentle on to the runway.

My wife and I rescued a couple of Greyhounds a male and a troublesome (thinker) female. This plane is dedicated to our first dog, Bailey. Her racing name is Boomer Torpedo.
I have Sky's dedication airplane on the drawing board!

ws 60", L 60", 4.5 Lbs, OS .46 fx Futaba 7c 5 servo- 4 channel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55787.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	1420509  
Old 04-18-2010, 08:23 PM
paof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Another scratch takes flight

VERY NICE PLANE.
SALUDOS
Old 04-24-2010, 08:04 AM
Andrew Lumley

That looks great! I am also building a scratchbuilt of my own with similar specs to yours although it will be a tad larger than yours.

The other day I cut out the first wing ribs!

One quick question though, how did you figure out if your model would fly at all. Was it all just the "That looks about right" technique or did you go about calculating lift and such lol. Because I've tried but it's rather difficult.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 04-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Lnewqban

Nice design,..........and very light for that size![sm=thumbs_up.gif]

When will we be seeing your scratch canard?
Old 04-28-2010, 08:27 PM
glowhead

Thank you for your posts. Right now I have a giant scale project (an ARF, sorry). I am going to begin designing a canard later this year, building through the winter. Right now I also need to replace field equipment, expand on my radio equipment ect.

I had built ssssoooo many kits, I guess I did what I wanted. I experimented will stick construction found on SIG Senorita, Senior kits. I built my plane without bulkheads too. I built a midstar 40 with Senorita construction and flew the crap out of it. I held up fine and was 1 pound lighter than the original. My Senorita flew for 4 years, Many learned to fly from it too. My design was inspired by the Midwest Zero. The wide wide wing root is very stable on landing. The long ailerons are very responsive without wipping the airplane around. GOOD LUCK on your builds.