Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Airspeed Courier

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:30 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Airspeed Courier

I have the David Vaughan plan of the Airspeed Courier ... which has a fierce taper on the wing. The tip is about 40% of the root chord.

I've run the sections through Profili and, if this is to be believed, things could perhaps get a bit lively at high alpha. In fact, I'm minded to stick some flaps on the model, so as to help to tame it.

However, what I'd really like is the benefit of some real-world experience with this model. So, is there anyone out there who has built and flown one of these animals?

How was it?
Old 04-30-2010, 05:16 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Airspeed Courier

Do they show a serious amount of washout on the plans by any chance? How keen are you about maintaining true scale in the airfoils?
Old 05-01-2010, 01:59 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There's about 3 degrees of washout and there is a camber change, too. The root is very thick [20%] with a bit of camber and 43.5 cm chord; whilst the tip is similar to a 12% Clark Y and has a chord of 17.5 cm.

I might change the root to a symmetrical section ... if I can't find any testimonial evidence. I really don't want to build this thing and find that it's a pig.

The names of the sections are not given on the plan and I've no idea whether they are "scale".
Old 05-01-2010, 01:21 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

What you describe sounds just fine to me. I'd use what is shown. It may or may not be scale but the choices you see would be the sort of things I would go with to produce a good flying model.