Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Ultra Hots

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 01:31 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Hots

I got this Ultra Hots cowl off of ebay for $10.

Now I have to build a $1,000 Ultra Hots around it. Damn you ebay!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48166.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	1443920  
Old 05-29-2010, 07:33 PM
flyathome
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Ultra Hots

I am currently building my second Ultra Hots. I am using plans from Model Airplane News. I would not use them again! There are little errors in the plans that make it clear
whoever drew the plans never built a plane from them. If you have built from plans before there is nothing that can't be figured out. It is just annoying. I don't know
if the plans from the Santich web site are better or not. I am not sure, but I think someone sells a short kit for the Ultra Hots. Anyway, it is a great plane and a blast to fly.
I am hoping to have mine ready in a month or two.

Steve
Old 05-30-2010, 08:24 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks for the warning Steve! I was going to go with MAN plans but might get them for Santich Jr's site. If they don't cost 200% more that is. I usually end up redesigning components or out right bashing the designs of the planes that I build anyway. I'll keep this one looking like a Hots though. Can you list some specific errors to look out for?

Here are some from where I learned not to trust plans 100%

Coverite Peashooter plans from MAN

1 Left horizontal stabilizer tip is 1/4" longer from the mid point than the right one.
2 Stringer notches in the fire wall are 15% smaller on the right than the left. "Plan must not have been perfectly flat when they copied it"
3 No former is present at the root of the tail for the turtle deck stringers and sheeting. "I guess your supposed to glue on a 3" thick balsa plank and sand it down to turtle deck shape. NO thanks I like my planes light".

Mitch
Old 05-30-2010, 11:20 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I will let go of my dan santich ultra hots plans cheap plans
Old 05-31-2010, 06:37 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

Thanks for the warning Steve! I was going to go with MAN plans but might get them for Santich Jr's site. If they don't cost 200% more that is. I usually end up redesigning components or out right bashing the designs of the planes that I build anyway. I'll keep this one looking like a Hots though. Can you list some specific errors to look out for?

Here are some from where I learned not to trust plans 100%

Coverite Peashooter plans from MAN

1 Left horizontal stabilizer tip is 1/4'' longer from the mid point than the right one.
2 Stringer notches in the fire wall are 15% smaller on the right than the left. ''Plan must not have been perfectly flat when they copied it''
3 No former is present at the root of the tail for the turtle deck stringers and sheeting. ''I guess your supposed to glue on a 3'' thick balsa plank and sand it down to turtle deck shape. NO thanks I like my planes light''.

Mitch

I was common experience at one time to use blocks of wood sanded to shape ,particularly in control line. Obviously you then hollowed out the blocks to a thin wall to get rid of the weight.
Not done much anymore simply because a good piece or light 4lb stock is really expensive to buy and we have moved on to better forms of construction.