Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

the DEE CEE

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 10:46 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default the DEE CEE

HAS ANYONE built this sport plane ? it was featured in the janurary issue of RCM MODELER mag.
it was designed by ron bozzonetti , i think hes from the DC area.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: the DEE CEE

What year RCM, they have been out of business for a few years?
Old 06-08-2010, 03:28 PM
WhiteRook

Old 06-08-2010, 04:47 PM
neilmac52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi it"s RCM 1319 DEECEEE 68.5 Spa 60 ..4 stroke motor Year 01..03

looks good !!!!!!!!
Old 06-08-2010, 06:55 PM
WhiteRook

yea , you really cant fit a four stroke in it . but i have the foam wing and plans, wing MFG made a wing for me.
it looks like a really nice build and a gentle flyer with a really thick eppler wing. one of the only probs is the plan shows
mini servos , i dont know why, but i guess some of the older radio systems used them , so the fuse is going to have to be a little wider.

i see from the plans , he used an old quantum 8 reciever .
Old 08-31-2010, 12:35 PM
ronboz

I'm the designer of the Dee Cee and just wanted to add a few comments to the discussion. The original used standard size servos, not mini's. I powered my model with a K&B .61, not the stock version but the one that was modified by Clarence Lee. This engine is still available from him and is advertised in the classified section of Model Aviation. Owing to the modifications made by Mr. Lee this engine has a little more power than the stock version. All of this at a reasonable price. I'm convinced that the models gentle handling traits are influenced by the thick airfoil. Good luck with your model.
Ron
Old 08-31-2010, 06:25 PM
WhiteRook

HI RON , THE servos look small on the drawing ,but your the designer , you know . do you think there would be any drawback to building the
fuse a little wider? im going to run a fox .50 in it. i luv the design , but i like more room inside the fuse.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:27 AM
ronboz

Widening the fuselage shouldn't effect the flying qualities of the model. I've always liked the Fox engines as they had great power for a reasonable price. My reflexes are such that I can't handle a fast model. This was one of the reasons for utilizing a thick airfoil. You should do well with the Fox .50 so long as you recognize the fact that you will not have a fast model.

Ron
Old 09-01-2010, 03:27 PM
WhiteRook

yea , a lazy flyer. what glue did you use to glue the wing skins on?
Old 09-02-2010, 09:42 AM
ronboz

I used epoxy to glue the wing skins on using a vacuum bag to bond the skin to the foam. The technique is to use a slow setting epoxy.The epoxy is spread over the skins and the excess is removed with a squeege which results in a thin film on the balsa. The goal is to save weight. With the vacuum bag system you will achieve a good bond with the least amount of epoxy.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:29 PM
WhiteRook

i was planning on using west systems epoxy , for the skins , but what is the vacum bag system.?
Old 09-04-2010, 12:24 PM
ronboz

Vacuum bagging consists of a mylar sleeve into which you insert your foam core, seal the ends and evacuate the air. The advantage of this system is the uniform pressure that you get over the top, bottom and sides of the foam core. Much more so than piling weights on top of the foam core. You can do a search on the Internet and get more detailed information. There are two suppliers of materials for this system that advertise in Model Aviation. They are: Aerospace Composites Products and CST-The Composites Store, Inc. Regardeless of the method you use you must get rid of those "whiskers" resulting from the cutting process so that you can get a good bond betweeen the foam and your covering material. I use 100 grit sandpaper for this. Go gently at first as the "whiskers" tend to form a ball and will gouge the core. As more and more of the "whiskers are removed you can be more aggressive with your sanding.