Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

plan paper

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 03:40 PM
ninja600

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plan paper

Hello all, my first post here.

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for finding suitable paper for drawing plans. I'm going to attemp to make plans for a zlin 526 in a .40 size from a set of 4 views I have. I just can't seem to find paper big enough for such an undertaking. Any Ideas?

I live in British columbia canada, any retailers of long paper here?

Thanks for the help,
Brian
Old 06-16-2010, 04:40 PM
limeybob
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: plan paper

Check with a local reprographics supplier. For Ex "Thomas Reprographics".
36"x150' is $13 approx.
Bob
Old 06-16-2010, 07:22 PM
kdc

Here in England we can buy rolls of Lining paper from the wallpaper shop, its plain white smooth paper, long rolls and its cheap. I use that and for tracing paper long rolls of greaseproof paper ( for wrapping your sandwiches in ) from the supermarket.

Note that Traplet in England publish a 62 inch Zlin 226T plan for a .40 if you dont want to design your own. a 526 is very similar to a 226 I think. Plan no MW 2160
Old 06-16-2010, 07:24 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

I do not think 10 by 10 or 12 by 12 grid Fade-out has been available for awhile now. The store that you find it at may have some, take it, but forget about ordering anything, or you may be waiting a long time.

Wm.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:57 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

With the shift to CAD for everything you'll likely have to buy a roll of something. However if you look up "draughting supplies" in the Telus yellow pages you should be able to find some outlets. Assuming you want to make copies of the plans what you'll want to get is draughting vellum. You can draw on it and then get cheap blackline dyeline direct transfer prints made from the master for about $3 to $4 for a 36 x 48 master.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:14 AM
Rendegade

Be warned, vellum isn't cheap!

We used to buy it by the 200m roll back in the 90's, and it was cheap then, around $90 for that much

now it's $200 for 50m!
Old 06-17-2010, 01:31 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I paid about $40 for the roll I've got some 15'ish years ago and thought it was outragious then.

I guess there isn't the demand anymore to make mass production worthwhile.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:53 AM
Rendegade

So it would seem.

I remember spending all day in the copy room getting fried on amonia copier fumes, but with the advent or relatively fast large format plotters, no one copies, we just reel out more prints.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:00 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Are there any magazine or newspaper printing companies or packaging companies nearby? They often have leftovers still on the roll which they bin.

One of their leftovers will probably last you a lifetime. - John.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:55 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

Vellum is definitely the best choice because it's more stable (from shrinkage) and a bit more durable than any pure paper product. I've still got 1/2 a roll leftover from way back when I drew some plans by hand.

However, the point was made about CAD nowadays, and it's a no-brainer that the learning curve to use CAD to draw aircraft designs and plans is well worth it. Cheaper, too. You can buy any of several different CAD programs for less than it would cost for a roll of Vellum.

It's a lot more comfortable sitting at a desk drawing an aircraft with CAD than it is hunching over a table, often in a hot (or cold) garage only to knock over a bottle of soda over on the plans when you're almost done. Not that I've ever done that myself...

Once you've finished you plan in CAD, all you do then is take your file to a local printing company (like Kinko's) and print it up on one of their extra-large printers. Just be sure to put your CAD design into whatever page size you want it in.

My .02 and I'm sticking to it...
Old 06-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Check with Mondrian-Hall in Vancouver. http://www.mhgraphics.ca/index.html. I get large format printing done from their office in Winnipeg.

Jim
ORIGINAL: ninja600

Hello all, my first post here.

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for finding suitable paper for drawing plans. I'm going to attemp to make plans for a zlin 526 in a .40 size from a set of 4 views I have. I just can't seem to find paper big enough for such an undertaking. Any Ideas?

I live in British columbia canada, any retailers of long paper here?

Thanks for the help,
Brian
Old 06-24-2010, 09:56 AM
ARUP

If you have any 'industrial strength' printing shops nearby you can inquire as to the disposition of 'empty' rolls of paper. I was able to get two rolls of paper used to print magazines for nothing. When these huge rolls get near the end of usable paper they are replaced with 'new' rolls. One of my 'empties' has glossy finish the other is bond. They are 36" wide and the length? More than I'll use in a few years.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are hand-drawing the plans, then you can use butcher paper...white paper typically used to wrap meat. Get the old style, though, not the coated variety. It's inexpensive, and goes a long, long way!