Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Malyuta Avionics: AX concept canard design

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Malyuta Avionics: AX concept canard design

Old 06-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Daniel_M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Malyuta Avionics: AX concept canard design

Hey all,

Here is the result of the first two parts of my scratchbuilding and designing walkthrough that is discussed in one of my other "Malyuta Avionics" threads ([link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9377190/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]link[/link]). So here is the design tested in XFLR5 (freeware, [link=http://xflr5.sourceforge.net/xflr5.htm]link[/link]), designed in Solidworks, and rendered in Photoview 360 as it stands up to this date! Here are the general specs:

Wingspan: 61.68 in
Wing area: 507. 26 in^2
Length: 33.09 in
Engine: OS .46
Estimated weight: 2.1 kg
Type: Canard

What do you think? Good project?

Daniel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tr50378.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	368.6 KB
ID:	1456945   Click image for larger version

Name:	id95422.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	357.3 KB
ID:	1456946   Click image for larger version

Name:	rw57078.bmp
Views:	18
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	1456947  
Old 06-22-2010, 01:25 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Malyuta Avionics: AX concept canard design

Looks pretty good so far. A bit "square" on the top to my eyes though. Perhaps make some allowance for a curved top. Lower the top of the box down to the canard's center line and add some form of foam and glassed upper curved block or something else.

A couple of other hints and possible structural issue spots;

[ul][*] The alignment slot for the former at the leading edge of the rear wing extends far too far towards the saddle. You'll have a very weak spot there due to that. In fact I would shorten up the alignment slots for all the formers so that the load bearing paths along the edges of the sides, top and bottom are wider. And in particular at the leading edge of the rear wing. [*] While they look nice there's just no point at all in putting the lightening cutouts in the ribs. Once covered you won't see them and all they do is give you a crush zone where the structure can collapse more easily in a mishap. And the canards are always open to damage by being up front. So ditch the lightening holes in the ribs.[*] Angle the spar caps so that they are tangent to the airfoil curve and you'll avoid having to shape the spar caps to allow the sheeting to sit with a nicer glue joint.[*] I'd also lose the oval lightening holes in the sides and just stretch your larger X format openings to take up the slack. You're not gaining anything other than making the design look "busy" and are just opening up more weak openings in the sides. Given that you're obviously planning on this being made from liteply or similar you've also got more formers than you really need. By stretching the X openings out you'll be able to spread out the formers and lose a few of them along the way which will further lighten the structure without any bad effects.
[/ul]

Old 06-22-2010, 01:51 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Malyuta Avionics: AX concept canard design

Your CG requirement will be a couple of inches in front of the leading edge of the wing. You do not have enough leading edge sweep back for the wing vertical stabs to be effective enough. I had to stop using them and went with center mounted vertical stabs with a long moment arm. Dan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84528.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1456963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99684.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1456964  
Old 06-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Lnewqban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts