Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Cessna Bobcat

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 07:59 AM
Thisstrangeengine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cessna Bobcat

I am in the process of re-covering an old Cessna UC78 Bobcat I scratch built years ago from plans. First order of business is removing the old covering! GEEZ, this stuff is aweful.I originally covered the plane with something called "Econocote" which I found at a local hobby store where I bought the plans. It looked like it was sitting around for a couple years but the price was right. Well it didnt seem to last before it began to dry out and get brittle so after 2 years of flying, I removed the engines and radio for another twin I designed myself. Now it's time to bring some life back into this old bird and get it back in the air.
I plan to do it in Olive drab with dove grey on the bottom. Here is sort of what it will look like except I will create my own numbers and other graphics to make it unique.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE_DOKAL-t8&feature=related[/youtube]
Old 07-25-2010, 10:44 PM
Murphey
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Cessna Bobcat

The Bamboo Bomber is such a cool plane! I'm in the process of a build myself. I'm planning to finish it as the "SongBird" from that 50's tv show "Sky King" Just curious, what engines did you use, how much did it weight and how did she fly...
Murphey
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52895.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1473522  
Old 07-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Thisstrangeengine

Hey Murphey, Lookin great there! My Bobcat was built from an old set of RCModeler magazine plans and designed by Bob Morse. The wingspan is 66" and I was using a pair of O.S. .32F engines. I too was going to do the Songbird color sheme but at the time, (before the internet) I couldnt find any documentation. Even now when I Google it there isn't much out there. I'm just gonna recover mine similar to the one in the video, but just for fun, I'll use my AMA# on the tail and maybe do some invasion stripes like a C-47 has. I almost trashed the plane since the old covering was in real bad shape and had some slight crash damage to the airframe, but like you say; "It's such a cool plane".
The plane weighed about 6-7 pounds and flew pretty good with no bad habbits I can recall. I plan to use a pair of ASP.52s this time around just for the extra power. My .32's are in another twin I designed myself. I am psyched to start the re-finishing process!
What kit is yours built from? I don't remember seeing but one other Bobcat which looks like it may have been about the same size as yours. I'm going back close to 20 years now and i only have 1 picture of it if I can find it. Anyway nice to see someone else building one of these somewhat forgotten aircraft. Keep me in the loop with your progress PLEASE. I would LOVE to see it complete...

Photo of plane after a few flights..

Photo of covering almost completely removed after many years..

Another angle and you can see the center wing sheeting missing to make repairs.

Ok, another angle. Not very pretty

Hopefully she'll look similar to this when complete... Again
Old 07-28-2010, 04:44 PM
Thisstrangeengine

Found more pics of the Bobcat after more searching. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but there seems to be quite a bit of info on this plane. Also found out a local Museum has one they are restoring.
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum is about 15 or so minutes from my home and did'nt know they had one.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Murphey

Mine is from Don Smith plans, 100" wingspan, 1/5th scale with Robart scale retracts. Shooting for 25-27 lbs...Planning on powering it with Zenaoh G-26's. Right now, I'm trying to work out where to put the fuel tanks, etc...pretty crowded in the nacelle with the retracts taking up a lot of the room. I'm also finishing out the interior. I've done a bit of poking around in the internet and am surprised how much I found on a relatively obscure plane. Thanks for the scoop on how she flies...I'm about a year away from finish but eager for that first flight! Send some pictures after your re-cover!
Regards
Murphey
Old 09-02-2010, 03:53 PM
classicair

I just wondered if you have the retracts?
Old 09-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Thisstrangeengine

No retracts on this one, just fixed gear.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:40 PM
Murphey

ORIGINAL: classicair

I just wondered if you have the retracts?
The 100" Don Smith version that I'm building has Robart retracts. Originally the retracts were air up and down but I'm having them modified to be electric by "Down and Locked"
Murphey
Old 09-03-2010, 08:40 AM
Thisstrangeengine

I'm not sure if retracts were even available when this plane was designed? I'm guessing it was designed in the 60's but really not sure.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Murphey

You are probably correct for the 66" WS version that you have. Probably couldn't support the extra weight. But retracts are an integral part of the 100" size...
Murphey
Old 07-06-2011, 04:48 AM
Thisstrangeengine

Just an update here: Started working on the airframe again and found some electric retracts that might just fit the nacelles. I'll have to do some cutting and grinding and modding but in the end it'll be worth it. First I think I will check the plans and see if I can make the changes and still keep the strength so this will be fun.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Murphey

Thanks for the update! Progress is great! Mine is almost ready...and I'm looking forward to just right AFTER the first flight! There is a lot of info on our build thread located here on RCU, under "Giant Scale/General/Don Smith Cessna T-50" there are tons of photo's etc. And if there is anything I can specifically help with, just let me know! I have really enjoyed the build and have even had a flight in a full scale Bobcat last April! What a thrill!
M
Old 07-06-2011, 07:32 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool airplane!
Old 07-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My second favorite airplane!

Thisstrangeengine, got any photos of your model?

Old 08-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Mike James

Hi guys,

Excuse me for butting in on your conversation, but in case it might interest you...
I've built a highly-detailed 3D T-50 model, which includes the internal structure, cabin details, and even the cable/pulley control system. If you like, have a look at [link=http://www.mikejamesmedia.com/cessna_t50_01.html]http://www.mikejamesmedia.com/cessna_t50_01.html[/link] I also do the web site for [link=http://www.cessnat50.org/]http://www.cessnat50.org/[/link]
where you'll find a lot of info on the actual aircraft.

Name:	Ay75729.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1647209  
Old 08-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Avaiojet

Mike James,

You know I have interest in the Bamboo Bomber.

Certainly your site should not be overlooked. Lots offered.

You have done some incredible work there! Incredible work!!

Kudos.

Charles
Old 08-13-2011, 04:02 PM
Mike James

Thank you!
Old 08-14-2011, 10:53 AM
zipman
My Feedback: (22)

Thisstrangeengine,

I am in the cutting parts stage for the RCM UC78 version. Same as yours.

Let us know if you found any suitable retracts for the Bobcat.

I am trying to modify the original nacelle design in anticipation of finding retracts. I may just leave them fixed and

add them to the next larger version I build (1/6th or 1/5th). I now have the Don Smith plans and a short kit for the 1/5th version.

Charles and others,

Laserworks now cuts a short kit for the RCM UC78 plans ( wish I knew before I cut mine). Check this page on their site under Cessna.

http://lazer-works.com/rcm.html

Keep them Bobcats comin.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Avaiojet

Zipman,

Good luck with your Bobcat, and please keep nothing from us!

You probably don't know this, but I have an old semi-kit made by Wing Manufacturing. The plans are the best feature! Great plans. Glass nacells and cowlings, plus great foam wing cores. I scaled this 3-view to 80" in my drawing program.

A while back, I did have a conversation with Robart about myself altering a set of struts to fit this size Bobcat. The action in the Bobcat gear isn't all that complicated.

Here's the view and the drawing. I can easily draw what you see any size.

So, let me know if any of this material can help.

Charles

Name:	Jh15845.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	1648767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98518.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	1648768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91248.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1648769  
Old 08-15-2011, 11:52 AM
zipman

Charles,

Thanks for the offer to help. I have a copy of the retract print you show in the 2 view. It looks to be in half scale. I was going to 2x it which should now

be full size for the Don Smith 1/5 scale model then take that print and reduce it by 63 % to get a size for the RCM plan. I also copied a few nacelle parts from

the DS plan and will reduce them by the same ratio and see if I can come up with a retract ready nacelle for the RCM size plan.

I also have a copy of a 1/6th scale Bobcat form K-Flight Industries dated 1992. I don't know if this was a kit or just plan only. It has 3 sheets and shows

a foam wing and fixed landing gear. Anyone familiar with this plan/kit???

The Don Smith T-50 is big. I may just reduce the 1/5th size to 1/6th for a future build as the 1/6th version is more manageable. Well see.

For now I got to finish the smaller one to have something to practice on.

Keep"em flyin

Name:	Ig12932.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1649113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71638.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1649114  
Old 08-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Avaiojet

What is the wingspan of that smaller one?

Old 08-15-2011, 03:51 PM
zipman

The RCM plan is 65 5/8 inches wing tip to wing tip. The cowl diameter is 4 15/16 probably 5 inches with thick lines and paper distortion.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Avaiojet

Zipman,

I believe I have a set of those plans.

Not sure if you're a stickler for scale? But, I would suggest you check out and measure the diameter of the nacelles. If I remember, on those plans, they are a bit small for a correct scale appearence.

Keep in mind, one interesting feature of the Bamboo Bomber is the nacelle thickness.

I believe they should be about 5.75" at that wingspan. Or, if anything, I'm not off by that much.

Others my know.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:45 PM
zipman

Charles,

Yes, the RCM plans are off scale here and there. Based on the 1/5 scale DS plans I calculated the same dimension for the cowl as you at 5.75 in dia.

So are you currently working on any particular size Bobcat ? I still like to eventually build one about 84 inch ws (electric power) as you had proposed a while back.

Got to get this one done first.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:13 AM
Avaiojet

Stan,

My Bamboo Bomber is on hold because I'm trying to get this Jet I'm working on completed.

I'd have to check my plans to remind myself about the size of the kit I have. Kit, actually 4 nacelle halves, 2 cowlings and foam parts for the wings and wing center section.

65" is a great size for a twin powered model, especially a model that has a one piece wing.

Plenty of surface area for detail and easy to cart around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.