Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

designing help needed

Old 07-25-2003, 01:25 AM
OMPEdgeFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default designing help needed

I am planing my 2nd designed plane, and my first Bipe. I plan a 20 w/s top, 16 w/s bottom. TD 020 powered 2 channel(E, R) no dehydrial in the wing and want to make a unique stab section. I want te whole back end to tilt up and down and left and right, but I dont plan to hindge it. I wanna run 3 stiff rods. One to the top of the vertical stab, and 2 to each side of the vertical stab. I think I can have the whole back stab section free float, only connected to the 3 rods. I want to put the a turnbuckle type of connection to the rods and let it pivot as I add control imput. I know I will have to put the rudder servo on the horizontal stab and the elevator servo on the vertical stab to get them to turn right.

My questions are,

Will this be sturdy enough to work?

Will I be able to hold a trim?

Will this idea add too much weight to a small plan?

Should I just hindge the whole back section and use pull pull type wires to save weight?

And should I stop dreaming of a floating rear stab all together, or bump up the size a bit to handle the weight?
Old 07-25-2003, 02:11 AM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Answer to #3,5b..... Yes. The plane is way too small to try that complex a mechanism
Also, a tripod is the stablest (least deformable) construction..depending on where you attach the push-rods, and the hinge selected....nothing may occur at all!
Your description doesn't present itself clearly.
"I want to put the a turnbuckle type of connection to the rods and let it pivot as I add control imput.
What is "it"? The entire tail section? The vertical stab? The horizontal stab?
By "turnbuckle" do you mean "ball-joint"?
Old 07-25-2003, 03:40 PM
OMPEdgeFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What i am basically doing is adding the french Demoiselle style tail section to a biplane I designed. But rather than have the whole tail section on a ujoint so it pivots with pull/pull cables, i want to mount it to rigid pull/pull rods and let the entire tail section "float" on the rods.
Old 07-25-2003, 03:57 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Demoiselle tail did come to mind when thinking on this.... there's a reason it appeared only once.
Getting the side-to-side motion of the vertical coordinated with the up-down motion of the horziontal, using 3 rods.. I dunno...
Using push rods/pull-pull which pass -near- the pivot point of a ball or U-joint could be made to work.