Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Beaver DHC-2

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 12:58 PM
military mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beaver DHC-2

Ok this is my first post on this site and I am looking for a plan of a de havilland beaver 1/5 scale, ( It must be scale I bought one from EBay that was meant to be scale it turned out more cartoon than scale it would be easier to draw one myself than use this plan ) this must be a plan not a kit? I no longer buy kits I like to make my own kit, I get more satisfaction scratch building. Anyway I have found one on EBay 114" wing span very close to 1/5 scale and have asked the seller some questions about his plan but I have not heard back from him yet, I have had a look at Mr Aerodesign Beaver very nice but it too small 12" short of 1/5 scale. so I'm back to the plan on Ebay
I am hopping that some one has built a beaver from this plan, or that someone has bought this plan and can tell me about how good this plan is. The advert reads as

De havillavd Beaver.
Radio: 5 channels
Length: 72 in. = 1,829 mm.
Wingspan: 114 in. = 2,896 mm.
Weight range: 15-18 lbs = 7 - 8 kg.
Power: .60-.90 (2 cycle) or .1.20 (4 cycle)

I do hope some one can help Mike.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: Beaver DHC-2

You'll probably have to get one from KMP or TBM and make it scale. I don't know of an actual scale that doesn't involve some work.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:04 AM
military mike

Ok I thought the KMP was a 95" wing span and a ARF and the TBM or ESM is also about 95" span and a ARF. What I am looking for is a plan for a 1/5 or larger up to 1/4 scale this works out at 115.2" up to 144" or as close to that as possible I was hopping that someone has built or seen plans. This is a great aircraft I never thought that getting plans would be so hard. I have ordered a set of plans today for a 79" beaver from Traplet Publications, this will be for a quick build to get the general idea of how I will get some of the scale detail worked out, but I still need a large set of plans. I hope someone can help please.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:55 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: military mike

Mr Aerodesign Beaver very nice but it too small 12'' short of 1/5 scale.
Have you considered emailing him and asking if he print out a plan scaled up the 2%?
It would apear his work is in CAD, so that would be qite easy I'd imagine
Worse case senerio he says No,

good luck
Old 08-24-2010, 10:01 AM
military mike

Hi Scale only 4 me
I did think about asking Mr. Aerodesign to enlarge his plans by 11%. But the only problem that I would have is, he uses a lot of fiberglass, for the Engine cowl (front section), Engine cowl (rear section), Canopy, Wing tips (2), Tail cone, Carburetor air intake, Oil cooler, Strobe pod, which I would have to make my self. Now I don't mind making one or two parts but I would not like making all nine parts . Having said that I would do it if I cannot get what I want of the shelf so to speak, its just that I would end up make maybe 30 parts in fiberglass before I would be happy with them. I am just not that good at working with fiberglass. Then we come to the undercarriage I really like his functional rubber shock absorber which you could modified to work but then you will need four more fiberglass leg fairing.
I did get an email last night about a 1/5 scale Beaver, but when I started digging, it turned out to be a plan enlarged from a Model Airplane news it started at 70.25 inches It seams to be that plan that is being sold my many. I just wonder who has the right to sell this plan. Anyway I digress, I have seen 1/5 and 1/4 beavers in some other forums as well as this one so someone must know from where they come from please?
One last thing I still have not heard from the EBayer with the 114 inch span Beaver !

Old 08-24-2010, 01:38 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Can't help you for a source but I will suggest you stay away from a blow up enlargement of a magazine plan that is that much smaller. Aside from legal copyright issues the structure you'll want to use for so much a larger size will bear little or no resemblance to the structure for a 71 inch span version.

You're worried about making the fiberglass parts for a slightly enlarged Mr. Aerodesign version of the plans, if you can get them, but if you build from plans you'd have to make all that stuff yourself anyway. And a plan of that sort scaled up by up to around 10% would not require any major structural changes. So I would say that this would be the way to go. Then make the fiberglass parts you need using the insulation foam plug with epoxy and fiberglass over and chew then dissolve out the foam after or just leave it in place for the nose blocks behind the cowl. Doing one off parts in this manner is really a lot simpler than making up full molds.

The biggest issue with this sort of scale up is that with the wider bulkhead and rib spacing you'll certainly want to use the next thicker size balsa sheeting. The extra stiffness of that slightly thicker sheeting will aid in bridging the gaps and avoid hollows where the wood tries to flex down into the gap between ribs and formers. And on top of that a non shrinking base finish such as sandable polyester resin and 1/2 oz glass cloth would also provide a skin that would resist the shrinkage forces of the paints applied over top.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:22 PM
military mike

Do not worry I will never buy a plan that has been enlarged from a smaller plan. It is not safe and is just asking for trouble. Also I believe that the person or the publication that has bought the rights to sell the plan is the only people that you should buy the plans from. That is why I am looking for a genuine plan, and that is possible why I have not heard back from the Ebayer, I asked too many questions.
As for the fiberglass, I have no problem covering wings etc with fiberglass, that is the way I will cover this model. But I can never make parts using the lost foam right first time because you have to make the plug just smaller than the part you want and I end up getting the finished part to thick or having to use filler to get the Finnish that I want, and it ends up heavy. So the way that I have been doing this is to make the foam plug near to the shape cover with glass cloth then fill and sand to get the shape spot on, then I make a proper split mold that I can finely can lay up the part from that split mould.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:09 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Well I suggest you ask the question in the giant scale forum,, maybe 1/5-1/4 plans with available fiberglass parts do exist, but a quick google reveals nothing.
Sounds to me, you being as particular as these posts make you out to be, you should thinking of drawing you own plans and mold your own parts.

I am curious why you're so stuck on that scale range,,

I'm guessing this is too cartoon-ish for you also,, maybe a good base to build from though
http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...fm?kit_id=4054

good luck
Old 08-25-2010, 09:18 AM
military mike

You are correct my wife dos say that I am to fussy, If it's not right its no good and I will throw it out do it again.
I did a Google check as well that is why I posted this question here.
I like large models you can add lots more detail and I like that part the Best and the bigger they are the better (more scale ) they fly, It's me again being to fussy but I cant help it.
I did look at the Unionville Hobby Beaver, but it's a kit and it not real scale, but I do like the size.
I have posted this question on an another forum and I will keep looking If I cannot find a plan already done and its being to look like it then I will start to draw one myself in the next few weeks. or ask Mr. Aerodesign if he can enlarge his DHC-2 Beaver I will have to think about it. Anyway thanks for trying, I appreciate it. Mike.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:42 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If you make the blue or pink foam parts the right size and shape you can then make up a divot cutting tool that makes spot holes of the correct depth over the surface. Then use those to sand the rest down to match and you've just allowed for the layup going over the foam. With any care at all you'll easily be within 1/32 of an inch to the so called "true" shape. And given your self proclaimed level of fussyness I'll bet it would be closer than 1/32. Doing the parts that way would certainly be far less time consumning than making a plug, mold and finally laying up the parts you need. And on a 1/5 model I'd suggest that this is close enough for anyone that doesn't walk around with a dial caliper in their back pocket.

Weight? I wouldn't be worried that much about the few extra grams that a glass over foam and then melt away foam part would have compared to a regular femail molded item. Besides there's the old method of pushing a regular balloon over the part and letting the air out so that it ends up with a compression elastic over the entire part. That'll squeeze out a lot of the excess resin and compress the layup so it's evenly thin overall. Did a glass over balsa nose cowl this way some years back. The results were more than I was hoping for. All I did was sand off some bits of the latex before painting. If the bit of balloon hadn't stuck it would have been easier than that.

Give the method a try on something for an existing plane. Then if it doesn't work to your satisfaction you've lost nothing but a bit of time and materials and a 10 cent balloon.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:49 PM
military mike

Thanks for the info. I am going to be making a cowl for a 40 size piper super cub for a friend in the next few days and I will try what you have said it would save me a lot of time and material. I will let you know how I get on.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:09 PM
boxbeam
My Feedback: (188)

Unionville Hobby makes a 1/4 scale Beaver kit. You could probably buy the plans from them through Great Hobby in Canada and build yourself one. You would also have access to all the glass parts that would come with the kit if you don't want to make your own. Its all pretty much stick construction and sheeing on the 1/6 and I imagine it would be relatively the same on the 12' version. You'll have to add lib to get it scale, but it should give you the basic airframe in the size you are looking for. I am in the middle of the 1/6 kit and I have made some mods to that to keep it stand off scale like. Good luck in your quest for a big bird!

Here is the web address: http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=UVH018
Old 11-29-2018, 07:51 PM
flymeby

I am building MR AeroDesign and am searching fore someone who has built one previously. I have a couple of questions or possibly some misunderstanding reviewing the prints as compared to the 3D manual. There seems to be some differences. Those shop changes and/or design changes did not get incorporated into the documentations. It is 18% scale and/or 103 inches.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:12 PM
alex5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just what part is the confusion,his manual is excellent?
Old 12-25-2018, 05:08 PM
alex5

Martin is so easy to talk to...just explain the area of difficulty,and I am sure he can sort it out
Old 12-25-2018, 05:10 PM
alex5

His factory is in NW Quebec(la sarre) and winter is their fun time.Just call,or email...he's a great guy
Old 12-25-2018, 05:18 PM
alex5

Mike,If you have not achieved your goal,I can expand my 6 foot WS plan to your scale,provided you supply your destination WS.My plan is to scale,and, really,what you need is the fuselage formers.You can scale ribs,or I can,but.the fuse is critical,even if the stringers change in size.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:10 AM
alex5

bad format screen snap

Last edited by alex5; 12-27-2018 at 10:15 AM. Reason: bad format
Old 12-27-2018, 10:30 AM
alex5

Default Beaver

Here is my scale plan based on 6 foot WS.Has hardpoints for landing gear conversions to floats,and intended for DLE20 Utilizes scale Landing gear,opening doors,simple to make scale door hinges.and polycrylic layup cowlingThis would scale very easily to a 12 ft ws,since it uses 1/8/x1/2 main fuse longerons,and 1/4x 1/4 stringers