RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/)
-   -   1/6th scale TigerMoth (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/10627408-1-6th-scale-tigermoth.html)

peregrin8r 07-18-2011 02:48 PM

1/6th scale TigerMoth

I'm in the process of building a 1/6th scale truely scratch built Tiger Moth from my own plans. It will not be a "daily driver" so to speak. Lots of detail going into this baby! I've already been working on it for more than a year. I fell into a rut, and didn't work on it for a long time and am just getting back into it. I figured maybe if I started a thread about it I'd have incentive to finish it in a timely manner.

I built a small tissue covered p38 as a teenager. But before I could fly it, it got crushed by chickens that got into the garage! Needless to say, the chickens never flew again either! So, after 30 years of being too busy and too poor I now have 1 less spouse(thank God I only had 1), 1 less house, several arfs (like 15), fly at the local club ALOT, fix other peoples figure 9's (or get given them because they know I'll actually fix it and fly it someday!) and am pushing my limits building off my own plans!

OK, should I start the thread with a carrot on a stick, or show all my work to date right from the git-go?

All Day Dan 07-18-2011 03:13 PM

RE: 1/6th scale TigerMoth

Go for it! Start the thread and let's see what you have done so far. Dan.

peregrin8r 07-18-2011 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, here we go! These pics were taken last fall. Since then I've done little things here and there.

All Day Dan 07-18-2011 04:17 PM

Thanks. It looks like a great project. Please continue to post your progress. Finally, my one vote has counted for something. Dan.

ARUP 07-18-2011 07:14 PM

Tiggies are really nice flying airplanes! Keep posting. I built a Comet P-38 when I was a kid. I had it set up with a slightly larger tank on the inboard engine. It was a great CL airplane until the outboard engine quit one flight! It looked about like chickens had gotten hold of it after that!

peregrin8r 07-18-2011 08:50 PM

LOL I hayts them dern chikins.

peregrin8r 07-20-2011 04:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some 3d pics of the plane. I've been learning a-cad from scatch as I build the plane.

ARUP 07-20-2011 08:20 AM

Nice drawings!

peregrin8r 07-20-2011 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, ARUP. Here are some more views.

LesUyeda 07-21-2011 06:25 AM

Don't forget the "folding" wings:-))))))))))))))))

I always wanted to do that.

Les

peregrin8r 07-21-2011 07:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Actually, I'm splitting the fuse in the middle directly behind the back seat. I hadn't even thought of folding wings.

Anyone have any ideas how to lock/unlock the two pieces? I thought maybe some kind of cam lock?

peregrin8r 07-21-2011 07:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just finished making all the brackets for the inner wing struts and wing to fuse. These were very difficult to make because I don't have a break for bending sheet metal. Oh, and they're so small that they'd blow away easily so I had to hold them between my fingers to sandblast them. Ouch!

peregrin8r 12-21-2011 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey, guys!
I haven't been on in a while...working out of town sucks.

Anyways, I still haven't figured out how I'm going to connect the two halves of my fuse together(fuselage to empennage). This is going to be the only separation point on the airplane, and needs to be fairly quick and simple. It has to be very sturdy, though... 8 lb. aircraft! Any ideas out there? Pics would be awesome!

Thanks in advance:D

peregrin8r 12-21-2011 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh, another thing I'm not sure how to do is the the wing wires which are actually an airfoil shaped rod on the real tiggy. These are structural, so my options may be limited?

Here's a couple pics I found on line...

Looper 12-21-2011 04:37 PM

Nice work! It's guys like you that keep the rest of us motivated in this great hobby...Looper

peregrin8r 12-21-2011 05:31 PM

Thanks, Looper. I need motivation just like the next guy. At the rate I'm going, this is going to be a three year build! lol

I was just making myself a list of things I need to do on the tiggy, and most of what's left is difficult stuff i.e. formed parts, landing gear, cockpit, etc. etc.[:o]

Dan

LesUyeda 12-22-2011 08:31 AM

"Oh, another thing I'm not sure how to do is the the wing wires which are actually an airfoil shaped rod on the real tiggy"

I had to do something like that on some plane or other, and I used K&S streamlined tubing over piano wire. The piano wire was the structure, and the K&S was window dressing.

I built an 84" Svenson SV-4 , an adaption of the Tiger Moth, that used streamlined, split plastic tubing to slide over the struts.

Man, I read that all wrong. I thought we were talking struts, not wing wires. Old age mind in really causeing problems.

Anyway, what I did for the wires, was to use very fine piano wire inside of aluminum tubing, then flatten the tubing around the wire. Wasn't airfoil shaped, but at 10', who could tell.

Les

peregrin8r 12-22-2011 06:02 PM

Thanks, Les

I was thinking maybe something along those lines, but I want mine to look authentic close up. I even considered casting aluminum over a wire, but that's beyond my expertize, and any tubing I found was either way too large or cost too much. The approximate size of the rods should be 1.5x3 mm. Also, the lighter the better.

Dan

peregrin8r 12-27-2011 06:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Worked on the cockpit yesterday and today. I got the floor, seats and some other floor parts made.

peregrin8r 12-31-2011 07:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK. I made the fuel tank! I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but I'm really happy with the end product.

First I glued a bunch of balsa blocks together to get the basic size and shape. Then I traced the shape on both sides, and sanded it on a belt sander. Next was the fun part. I had to turn a die on the lathe for rolling in the "corrigated steel" ribs.
After all the ribs were pressed in, I sanded the sides down to get the right width, then used a file and then a shaped sanding block to make the groove in the bottom. Then I added rib lines to the sides. Finally, a coat of dope and a coat of paint. I still have to lightly sand it and put another coat of paint on it, but I think it turned out great.

Dan

kdc 01-04-2012 08:49 AM

Years ago Dr Mike Sun had an article in the English magazine RCME Special about the folding wings on his one sixth scale DH60 Moth. Makes interesting reading and its very simple. He flew the model for years.

The same foolproof pin fixing for the wings could be used for your fuselage joint. He used a homemade spring catch but you can buy them at the hobby shop.