RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/)
-   -   Nifty Fifty (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/1435464-nifty-fifty.html)

WB2SXN 01-16-2004 05:23 AM

Nifty Fifty

Hi all - I'm looking for any information on this airplane - I don't think it is still in production but maybe plans are available ?? - Who manufactured this plane??

I would appreciate any information - thanks - Bing WB2SXN

dennis 01-16-2004 01:04 PM

RE: Nifty Fifty

It was made by Florio in Pennsylvania. They went out of business in the 90's besides the nifty 50 they also made the Big Nifty which was an 80 inch version. Their biggest sellers were the Florio flyers in both 40 and 60 sizes, and the Stuntwagon a really neat first generation 3D machine. Their kits were top quality offerings and I'd had the pleasure of meating Jim Florio at some of the shows back then.
These are kits that would still be good sellers even today. I know that the company had been sold and Penn Valley Hobbies owned by Bill Shieve bought some of the designs. You night want to check with them and see if you can at least get plans.
Dennis

WB2SXN 01-17-2004 03:47 AM

Thanks for the info Dennis - appreciate your time - Bing WB2SXN

phread59 01-18-2004 03:39 PM

Check in this months RC Report. They have an add for Penn Valley Hobbies in it. The people there are real nice people. They have a basement where they sell all kindsa neat goodies. You never know what you will find there. I got a NIB Jemco hellcat the last time I was there.

The nifty Fifty was a real neat palne. Kinda like a 3 channel trainer. They flew very well indeed. I wpold love to score a set of plans for a Fifty. I do have a brandy new Stunt Wagon and Flier 40 in my stash of goodies. Some day I will build them. The kits are very fine. Great wood ans hand sawn parts as I recall. I wish someone would bring back the old Florio designs again. I want a fifty pretty bad myself. I tried to get one before they closed up shop. I never was able to get one.

Mark Shuman

WB2SXN 01-19-2004 12:12 PM

Hi PHREAD59 - Thanks for the info - I contacted Penn Valley Hobbies at [email protected] and the owner said he has a kit but he didn't put a price on it - he wanted me to make an offer but I have no idea what the kit wud be worth - I'm really only interested in a set of the plans or copies of the plans -

Bing WB2SXN

phread59 01-21-2004 02:40 PM

I am not sure what they went for. I am gonna say around 70 bucks. That was back then and I am not sure. None of my florio kits have a price on them. I would offer 50 bucks. Let me know how you make out. If necessary I may have to make a trip down. It is a 60 mile one way trip. But would be worth it. Let me know how you make out.

Mark Shuman

PS: I don't know where to get plans copied around here. i live in a technicly challanged area. No Kinko's in sight. Maybe we can come to some arrangement. If I could get the plans copied I would send a set.

goinav8n 01-22-2004 01:57 PM

Hi Guys

My Dad and myself were friends of John and Jim Florio. Both great guys. John passed away years ago and Jim tried to run the Business but sold it to a fellow in DuBois Pa. Rich Hook is his name. I think he is listed in the phone book there. Hes another very nice guy. He is also very active in the Fun Fly competions in NW Pa. Or at least he was.

Im sure Rich has a set of Nifty plans. Good grief there were 100's of them in the area. He sold them in the Hobby Shop there.

John was a real craftsman and enjoyed the models until the day he departed this earth. I use to play with Jim when we were 9-10 years old. This has been quite some time. Awww memories.

Although I lived close to them I never had one of thier planes. Then one day my wife bought me a 40 flyer. I still have it hanging in the shop. I stripped it down and repainted it. Dope of Course with sewn hinges. Just like a Florio plane was suppose to be 8-). I finished it 2 years ago and havent flown it. I dont fly power anymore. I may just have to sell it.

Jeff

rosbertos 06-08-2006 08:55 AM

HI guys....just wanted to let you all know that Jim Florio has opened up a new hobby shop in Falls Creek, PA and is kitting some of his old designs again (although not sure about the Nifty). If anyone is interested, I'll try to get a phone number/email address.

BSARGE 07-06-2006 08:40 PM

Yes please, I would be very interested!!!! I loved the Nifty, I bought a plane from Rich Hook(yes, very nice guy) www.richhook.com called a predator it is pretty much the same as the nifty with some minor mods(he enclosed the fuel tank), I liked it exposed, land, taxi up and see how much fuel is left and take off again!

RCBuilder42yrs 08-19-2006 01:04 PM

Great News for those still interested in the FLORIO designed aircraft. I just spoke with Jim Florio and he is back in business building his great aircraft:
Florio Flyers- both .40 and .60 size
Nifty 50
Big Nifty- Great Aircraft
"New" Nifty 66- Larger version of the Nifty 50

So for any of you folks still interested in getting in touch with Jim or want one of his designs, he is living in DuBois,PA

I simply looked up his phone number on White Pages.com and found him.

I built 2 of the Big Nifty's over 20 yrs ago.. So glad to find out Jim is still around and in business again. Great individual and always willing to help.

I'm ordering the Big Nifty and am going to build it up for a "Show Plane" for working MDS events around the Gulf Coast Area, always love dropping aload of Candy for Kids!

RCBuilder42yrs

BruceTharpe 08-20-2006 10:36 AM

That is great news! Met Jim during my days at Sig, and saw his products at trade shows. As everyone says, great guy, and I wish him nothing but the best. When I started BTE, there were a handful of kit makers that I wanted to emulate, and Florio was one of them. Jim actually called me and passed on helpful advice that I lean on to this day. I'm glad he's throwing his hat back into the ring because there are still a lot of kit builders out there and they want stuff to build.

RCBuilder42yrs 08-21-2006 09:52 AM

Bruce,

I had another conversation with Jim, this morning and I mentioned your post here on RCU. He asked if I would mind posting his email address for those that want to get in touch with him. He also wanted to let all know that the R/C aircraft production is not his primary vocation. He does this as he has time to do it but he is always glad to hear from any of his old customers and would love meeting new ones as well. So as he asked here is Jim's email address:

[email protected] (decided I better correct the address) ;)

Jim, is one of the "oldies but goodies"! ! Super individual to deal with!

Oh and he did mention for those of us that enjoy building, he is working on a "Brand New" Nifty Bipe! Which will be released in the near future.

RCBuilder42yrs

P.S. Long live the "StuntWagon" (another of Jim's designs

Dsegal 08-21-2006 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The original kit was reviewed in the August, 1989 issue of Model Airplane News. I built one in 1997 and it was a quality kit.

Jim Messer 08-22-2006 12:04 PM

I know Jim Florio very well, so I sent a Hello E-mail to the yahoo address above. It was returned - said he didn't have a yahoo account. Anybody else get through?

flyer florio 08-23-2006 10:30 PM

Hello Everyone! I'm flattered by so many kind words! Yes, I'm producing Florio Flyer Kits again but on a much smaller scale. Would love to hear from old friends and new ones too! my correct email is: [email protected] www.florioflyer.com is coming soon! Thank you for your years of support!

RCBuilder42yrs 08-23-2006 11:36 PM

Jim Messer,

Sorry about the mistake, it was a short circuit between my "hearing" Jim on the phone and transfering that too a post here on RCU. Seems I "added" the 's' to flyer and that made your email bounce. Glad Jim (Florio Flyer) came to my rescue and straightened the mistake out.

Glad to see you on RCU Jim (florio Flyer) Hope to see your product running down the Road here to South Texas!

RCBuilder42yrs

RCBuilder42yrs 08-23-2006 11:57 PM

Dave,

One of the "Big Nifty's" which I built about 17 yrs ago incorporated, "frieze" ailerons, Flaps, Tow hook release, Candy Drop and I covered it in "Circus Pink" and Metalic Plum Monokote, truly very visible Aircraft. The plane was later sold and the fellow that ended up with it had a special Stainless 3 gallon tank made for the Fuse and flew it from Sugar Land, TX to Little Rock, Arkansas. It had one of the old Sullivan "alternators" installed so he didn't have to worry about charging batterys. Later, this very feature cost him the airplane as the engine died, Batterys were DEAD and so goes the end of the "cross country" "Big Nifty"!

I had forgotten about the "Visible Tank" on the Nifty 50.. Very good idea!

RCBuilder42yrs

Mturowski 01-03-2007 02:24 PM

I sent Jim Florio a detailed email at his address listed above talking about my adventures (and misadventures) over the years with the Florio line of kits. I'm glad that he'll be producing this fine line of kits once again. The Florio Flyer is an excellent plane. I hope that bringing it back will allow others to experience the fun that I had with this plane. In my book, this plane is right up there with the Kaos, although they served different purposes, the one thing they have in common is they are good honest designs and flyers. You can't ask for anything more.

bw5493 01-06-2007 04:37 AM

Garry Yerrish did a G-23 powered version back in the 80's, and [lans are available at Model Airplane News.
Here is the info from their site:

fsp10932
Nifty 80
Designed by Gerry Yarrish, this is an easy-to-build, giant-scale budget trainer. WS: 80 in.; engine: G-23; 2 sheets.
$ 19.95

Rocketeer10 08-29-2010 10:52 AM

the NIfty 80 is still available at the airagestore.com website. just updated the page with a color photo. it has 80 inch span and built with common materials and lauan ply to save $$.

w8ye 08-29-2010 11:23 PM

http://www.airagestore.com/planes/plans/nifty-80.html

No Step 11-07-2010 09:05 PM

I just recieved my Nifty 80 plans (Airage). I will start building about December. I'll be lightening it up as much as possible! Mine wil be powered with an AXI 4120/14 on 4s. I already have the motor, so I'll use it on the Nifty 80. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1334224

Fred
https://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72/

scootter 05-01-2013 03:55 PM

anyone add ailerons to the nifty 50

jbrooks02 12-07-2013 08:33 AM

I will be stopping by at Jim Florio's this evening to pick up a Nifty Fifty for a winter build. I don't why I am buying a second 3 channel airplane, other than I have wanted a Nifty for a long time. Scooter, if you add ailerons and you haven't joined the wings yet, you may want to take some of the dihedral out. I have a Florio 40 (Electric) and it is a great flying airplane. The Florio kits are for sale On Line here http://greatflyerrc.com .

jmainjet 11-17-2021 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by phread59 (Post 1442222)
Check in this months RC Report. They have an add for Penn Valley Hobbies in it. The people there are real nice people. They have a basement where they sell all kindsa neat goodies. You never know what you will find there. I got a NIB Jemco hellcat the last time I was there.

The nifty Fifty was a real neat palne. Kinda like a 3 channel trainer. They flew very well indeed. I wpold love to score a set of plans for a Fifty. I do have a brandy new Stunt Wagon and Flier 40 in my stash of goodies. Some day I will build them. The kits are very fine. Great wood ans hand sawn parts as I recall. I wish someone would bring back the old Florio designs again. I want a fifty pretty bad myself. I tried to get one before they closed up shop. I never was able to get one.

Mark Shuman

I have some plans for the Nifty Fifty If you are still interested.
John