RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/)
-   -   Plans for 1\3 Scale Fokker Dr1 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/1730407-plans-1%5C3-scale-fokker-dr1.html)

deljon 04-16-2004 06:28 PM

Plans for 1\3 Scale Fokker Dr1

I heard there were some plans out there for a 1/3 Scale Fokker Dr1, maybe by a company Scratch a Plane, or something like that.
Can't find any info. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Del Johnson

RCPAUL 04-17-2004 03:21 AM

RE: Plans for 1\3 Scale Fokker Dr1

Scratch-A-Plane is long out of business. Their DR1 is not 1/3 size but much smaller - I built one. However, I do remember seeing an ad for plans for a large DR1 in High Flight, the publication of the IMAA when I belonged. Check with someone who belongs and they may be able to give you a source.

Paul

deljon 04-18-2004 07:57 AM

Thanks for the info Paul, I ran across a guy that had a set of the Scratch a Plane plans and they are 1/4 scale.
I have a 1/4 scale Flair Dr1, so that won't help me. Also have a GP 1/5 scale.
My thought is since the 1/4 scale flys so much better and handles easyer than the 1/5 scale, maybe the 1/3 scale
would be an even better flyer.
Do you know of anyone who has a 1/3 scale??

Del Johnson

CRAZYRYAN 04-18-2004 09:05 AM

call up arizona aircraft models they will be glad to help

Carlos Murphy 04-19-2004 12:35 AM

Email Mike Gilmore, [email protected]

I bought a 1/4 scale DR-1 from him sometime back and he sold a 1/3 scale DR-1 on RCU.
Do a search for "talob" (takes alot of beer) Tell him Chuck said hi.

deljon 04-19-2004 03:37 AM

Had a not too good experiance with arizona models and so has a couple of friends.
Have also heard other bad reports on them, so will look elsewhere.
I appreciate your input.

Del

MajorTomski 04-19-2004 06:57 AM

I was going to suggest Cleveland. They at least have plans that big, but they need to be re-engineered for RC. But it appears that their website is down this AM too.

tom

CliffordH 04-19-2004 11:45 AM

Del,

I have a set of the 1/3 scale triplane plans from Arizona and it is something to build. They might have changed but the ones I have a a 1/3 scale copy of the Redfern plans for a DR1 replica (full scale). They call for the fuselage to be built from tubing as on the original and if you built one from these plans you might as well build a replica triplane. The last I saw of the kit they provide 1/4 inch alum tubing for the fuselage. If you get some 1/3 scale plans you might talk to them about a cowling, I think their 1/3 scale cowl looked pretty good.

One thing you might try is contact Glenn Torrance
http://www.gtmodels.com/
He does his plans with CAD drawings so he could probably print you some in 1/3 scale.

Good Luck!
Cliff

deljon 04-19-2004 04:11 PM

Thanks for the input everyone.
Cliff..I am currently building GTM's low cost D8, great kit by the way.
I hadn't thought of asking Glenn if he could scale up his 1/4 scale Dr1 plans,
I think I'll do that, plus I'll keep looking also.
Thanks again.

Del

RGM 04-21-2004 11:13 PM

Del -
Check Precision Cut Kits website. They list as in stock kits of Ron Weiss' 1/3 scale Dr1. They also list Rons contact info for the plans in the designer section.
www.precisioncutkits.com
Good luck

deljon 04-23-2004 03:34 AM

Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it.
After a lot of thought and concideration, I've decided to go with GTM's 1/4 scale.
I know the quality of Glenn's kits and plans, so I figure that I can't go wrong with that.
Thanks again.

Del Johnson

Barnstormer16 04-24-2004 04:37 PM

Quote:deljon My thought is since the 1/4 scale flys so much better and handles easyer than the 1/5 scale, maybe the 1/3 scale
would be an even better flyer

My dad has a 1/3 scale Ron Weiss plan Dr1 and trust me it does not fly better than a quarter scale. As planes get bigger they tend to fly much more like their full scale counterparts. Since the full scale DR1 is a handful to fly and even more hard to land that means the model would have more of those tendencies.

deljon 05-02-2004 05:42 AM

Good point Barnstormer, thats part of the reason I decided to stay with 1/4 scale. [sm=thumbup.gif]

Del