RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/)
-   -   Decal design software (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/3208211-decal-design-software.html)

Paladin049 07-28-2005 09:49 AM

Decal design software

I want to create some custom decals/graphics for my next project, which is a SIG Four Star 60. Any suggestions? I have an Epson CX5400 inkjet photo-quality printer which is also a scanner and copier. I own TurboCAD 3D and ModelCAD (which was very disappointing!), plus Office 2003. I also downloaded the demo version of Compufoil 3D, which looks great for wings. Any suggestions on airframe design software other than T-CAD?

Edwin 07-28-2005 10:38 AM

RE: Decal design software

I have not done decals myself but a few friends have. They used a decal paper you can get from the office supply stores, office depot and the like. Some things to watch out for is that some programs use the white of the paper when you print. So if you have clear decal film, you wont have white when you apply it to the plane. I THINK there is a white decal paper, not sure. You also have to seal the decal once its applied to the plane. The ink jet ink is not fuel proof. Something like lustre coat clear, flat or glossy.

I see you're in Austin. Where do you fly at. I fly at Georgetown and ARCA.
Edwin

Campy 07-28-2005 10:52 AM

BelDecal has both clear and white background water slide decal paper http://www.beldecal.com/
this works quite well in an inkjet printer and they also have a variety for laser printers.

Software for drawing your own decals can range from MS Paint (included with windows ) to Corel draw, to Adobe Photoshop. MS Paint is a very basic program. It is sort of a toss up between Corel Draw and Photoshop. (I use photoshop ).

Hope this helps.

dr_wogz 07-28-2005 12:59 PM

Fnd a local 'sign maker' Usually, they cut the graphics from sticky backed vinyl (the stuff you see on cars & oterh 'advertising' on vehicles) They usually take a 'vector' based file. CAD programs typically produce a 'vector' format (such as DXF). Call them and see what their capabilities are..

Edwin 07-28-2005 01:12 PM

Something else I just remembered from my plastic models days. There is a solution you can "paint" on the decal after you have placed that makes it bond better. Its called "Decal Set". If you have rivits under the decal they will show thru like the decal was painted on. Dont know of anybody thats used for RC but it might be worth a test.
Edwin

Paladin049 07-29-2005 10:03 AM

Haven't been flying much the last few years...just getting back into it. I fly in Round Rock at the moment, about to join Hill Country as I move to south Austin next weekend! About to build a Four Star 60 as my first kit...have an Avistar and .40 Stik at the moment.

marwen1 08-11-2005 04:47 PM

Here is a thought. I normally use EPSON media for pretty much everything except the really LARGE FORMAT stuff. Then I use ENCAD.

Photoshop is pretty much the industry standard for manipulating any image.

FIND the lightest weight media possible. Print whatever you like and whatever size you like. I then run the print thru my 3M laminator(12" wide). It will apply a sticky adhesive on the back and cover it with a 2ml clear plastic. This now makes you "decal" capable of placing it wherever you want it and it is fuel proof.

If you are interested --- PM me--- perhaps I can help you in some way

marwen

starcad 08-12-2005 12:22 AM

All of the above suggestions are great. However I think your question was what software to use. I prefer Corel Deaw myself as it allows me to save in various vector formats that I can then import into my vinyl cutting software and cut. Another way of looking at your question is what graphics are being used. If you go on ebay look for Swap Meet Graphics and you will find a ton of people selling everything from Clifford to Chevy logos. You can buy as CD and then have tons of art to choose from. Beware though that most are copyrighted but for your personal use you shouldn't have a problem. Also, be aware that most are in .esp format so Corel is almost a must.