RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/)
-   -   HOW WOULD YOU INSTALL THIS CANOPY (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/4429425-how-would-you-install-canopy.html)

marwen1 06-25-2006 04:35 PM

HOW WOULD YOU INSTALL THIS CANOPY

1 Attachment(s)
I have made this type of plane several times and I end up making the canopy differently each time.

Please advise how you would have made the canopy to stay in place, yet be able to remove it at will

marwen1

TLH101 06-25-2006 05:50 PM

RE: HOW WOULD YOU INSTALL THIS CANOPY

Put a pin, or tab, in the front and use "rare eart magnets at the rear, instead of the lip that it fits under. If it is not a high speed model, the magnets may work in front with what you already have.

marwen1 06-25-2006 07:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think that a better image might serve more appropriately. This is the aft end of the canopy.

marwen1

Campy 06-25-2006 10:34 PM

If this is a glider, go with the rare earth magnets ( Radio Shack and othe places ). If it is a high speed plane, I would install some hardwood blocks (3/16" thick x 3/8" wide x 1/2" long ) in the corners and use socket head servo screws through the canopy into the blocks.

marwen1 06-26-2006 02:24 PM

ORIGINAL: TLH101

Put a pin, or tab, in the front and use "rare eart magnets at the rear, instead of the lip that it fits under. If it is not a high speed model, the magnets may work in front with what you already have.
I don't know as thast will work, I'm putting a .60 OS enhine on it. It'll likely hit around 75 -80 MPH ----- maybe less

marwen1

WorldTraveler 06-26-2006 03:16 PM

I cannot figure out why it would not stay on. WINGS are held on with basically the same hardware. Push comes to shove, put a hinge one one side or the other and make a latch for the other side. I work on the equivilent of the Raytheon Beech Jet and we have panels retained with 1/4 turn fastners....and the are definately flying faster than 75 MPH.

Jimmbbo 06-26-2006 07:21 PM

I'd put a dowel or tab on the front end with a small flat head machine screw countersunk and drilled down thru the aft end, screwed into a hardwood block and T nut at the aft bulkhead of the "cockpit".

Hardy_H 06-29-2006 06:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you want it to sit really tight a nylon screw with t-nut is allways good. If you want it to look good get yourself such a canopy lock. The brass part(with a spring inside) is build into the fuselage, the little hook is used to retract the dowel which reached into the canopy's front former. All you see on the outside is a little slot and the hook that comes out of it. Oy course you could also build such a device yourself.

By the way, could you show us a pic of the whole plane?

marwen1 06-29-2006 08:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
THe WHOLE plane. Well, So far, it's in bits and pieces but that's a fair request. I'll "try" to get them shot today. I made a cop[y of the entire RCM article and made it into PDF but the darn thing is still too big. As a PDF, it is 8 MB in size. I think what I'll do is lower the dpi on the originals and make another pdf. That should work with a direct email

However, here is a copy of the 2 cover pages of the article

marwen1

Cyberwolf 06-29-2006 09:53 AM

Myself I have used some nylon landing gear fasteners Drill a hole in the center thats a press fit to a SM screw with a small shouler then cut away at a angle leaving just over half the hole when finished .Attach 2 one on each end of the nylon setups put a small screw in the approprate place in the fuse and just slide it in place untill it pops on Takes little time and some trial and error but nothing shows and it wont come off in flight.
I tried sending a pic of this and for some reason its not working today .If this is as clear as mud and you would like to know more PM me and I'll get a pic to you .

Jim_Purcha 06-29-2006 07:32 PM

Marshall, why don't you use a bolt and a block at the front of the canopy. Also, are you going to the Wham Electric Fun Fly?

KidEpoxy 06-29-2006 09:24 PM

use some of them tiny servos, & put the AutoCanopy on some channel

Hardy_H 06-30-2006 06:33 AM

or you could put a hamster in the cockpit and train it to hold the canopy shut whenever the engine is running

marwen1 06-30-2006 06:56 AM

ORIGINAL: jpurcha

Marshall, why don't you use a bolt and a block at the front of the canopy. Also, are you going to the Wham Electric Fun Fly?
When is it scheduled for?

marwen1

Jim_Purcha 06-30-2006 10:33 AM

The electric flyin is scheduled for next weekend, the 9th of July.

marwen1 06-30-2006 10:21 PM

sounds like a plan!

Any idea what time it gets under way? Give me a land line call -- if you don't have my number >>> -- PM me a copy of yours and I'll get to you

marwen1

marwen1 07-02-2006 12:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Cyberwolf

Myself I have used some nylon landing gear fasteners Drill a hole in the center thats a press fit to a SM screw with a small shouler then cut away at a angle leaving just over half the hole when finished .Attach 2 one on each end of the nylon setups put a small screw in the approprate place in the fuse and just slide it in place untill it pops on Takes little time and some trial and error but nothing shows and it wont come off in flight.
I tried sending a pic of this and for some reason its not working today .If this is as clear as mud and you would like to know more PM me and I'll get a pic to you .
A lot of the time, your file is TOO large too send the image.

If your are attaching your image so that it is visible to the general readers, -- keep it under 3KB> also> make sure that it is a gif, a jpg, or else a pdf. Anything else and it'll bump it back to you.

If you PM them, it's even smaller

I'd love to see the shots

marwen1
Digital Moderator

Jim_Purcha 07-02-2006 12:33 PM

Event Name: WHAM Electric Fun Fly
Event Sanction ID: 2006-345
Event Zone: Manitoba & Northwestern Ontario
Event Type: Fun Fly
Event Date: July 8, 2006
Event Start Time: 9:00:am
Event Length: 1 day(s)
Event Entry Fee: $5.00 Landing Fee
Event Sponsor Club: Winnipeg Headingly Aero Modellers
Event Site: WHAM Air Field
Event Address/Directions: 5kms West of Assiniboine Downs on Saskatchewan Avenue
Event details: This years Electric Fun Fly Saturday July 8, 2006 is running in conjunction with WHAM's Fun Fly Sunday July 9,2006. So bring your electrics and come flying with us for the full weekend. There will be prizes, food, and beverages.

I'll pm you my number, Jim