RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/)
-   -   Scratch building 105" WS S Connie L-1049 (Pics added) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/4538333-scratch-building-105%22-ws-s-connie-l-1049-pics-added.html)

Boomerang1 08-05-2006 11:16 PM

RE: Scratch building 105" W/S Super connie L-1049 G

Aerowoof, the B-36 is 110 inch span. Your choice Sammy. But having tried both methods I would never go back to IC for this type of model. Electric power solves so many problems it cannot be ignored. - John.

Props4ever 08-06-2006 02:13 AM

John,

I am very cofident in my choice of engines, noi doughts in my mind that i will face problems with these engines as i plan to Break them in togather at same time and also sync them before installation on the model.....

Aerowoof,

I am still waiting for the drawings or pictures of B-24s flower flaps and rudder sets ups......i pmed you twice and emails you once, please let me know whats happening and when will you help out....

Build update...

This weekend being long weekend got crapped out, i was hoping to get the foam and cut out sections of the fuselage, but source of foam was closed so now it will happened during next week or weekend. Last night i made my own formers for the rader nose section that is not on the plans...

Cheers,
Sammy

Props4ever 08-10-2006 06:26 AM

Morning,

Finally yeasterday i managed to get the right thickness of foam sheet i was looking for (4"x4'x8'), i took it to my buddy's place and we began to work, by 1030pm we started to sized out and made first block section of the fuselage, by 12am we had all the sized block sections cut out except one that some how we missed. Before we started to cut out the sized block sections, we had to cut full 4' sheet into 4 almost equal sections, 11" wide x 8' long sheets, then we laminated 3 sheets togather to form 12" thick working long block, once contact cement was dried enough to handle, then we started to cut out sized block sections to form complex countour of the fuselage profile shape.

Today i will attach the all templates with toothpick to each sized block section and carve out circular shape of the fuselage, then once this process is done, i will butt join all the fuselage sections togather into one long fuselage and then block sand whole fuselage into right profile. After this process i will have nice 94" long core of Connie's fuselage.

We are taking pictures as we are going along the step or stages as we are progressing, i will ask Mike to post them for me soon.

Sammy

Props4ever 08-12-2006 08:47 PM

Important Airfoil selection question and wash out,

I like to know what sort of airfoil should be used on my model, since originla plans are for "U" contol model, its showing symetrical airfoil on it, now couple of my friends mentioned that this airfoil should be changed to either semi-symetrical or high lift airfoil. I don't have much knowledge what type to select, i want opinion and suggestions from scratch Connie moulders or guys who do giant scale stuff to advice me what to choose.

Since fuselage is all ready for wing saddle cut, i need to know this my tommarow night at latest, i will cut out center wing section core first on Monday...

Another question is about the wash out on the wings?, how much degrees will it be needed to make it stable flyer and on landings specially?...

Sammy

aerowoof 08-13-2006 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the airfoil shown on the plan is semi symetrical and will work fine wash out should be about -2 degrees.will have the rudder and flap imfo to you a bit later.takes awhile trying to locate plans not used for 20 years

Props4ever 08-13-2006 05:38 PM

Hi Aerowoof,

Thanks for the pictures, i would still like to see the drawings for mechanisum itself for fowler flaps, rudders look easy and practical.
As for airfoil, its not the one i have been adviced to use, so we will have to work with some other type of airfoil....

Sammy

aerowoof 08-13-2006 05:53 PM

I donot know who is advising you but that airfoil had flown fine for me at 100" span and it flew fine for others in the original kit conversions.if you want to change it the try the standard naca 2415

aerowoof 08-13-2006 06:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the root airfoil used in the full size is
Lockheed 1049 Constellation NACA 23018
I bet you will find that it is the same as shown on the plans you have.

Props4ever 08-14-2006 08:11 AM

Last night i made 3x 1/8 ply formers to give more strength ot the center fuselage where wing will mount, i also made my first dummy wing tip fuel tank out out of four 1" thick blue foam sheets by laminating them togather, i am now going to do another one for other side and today i will decide what airfoil to use and the most likely cut the wing cores also....

Props4ever 08-14-2006 06:47 PM

Hi,

I have decided to use NACA 2318 airfoil for the root and NACA 4412 for the tip. My plans shows its NACA 2318 so i am keeping that but changed to NACA 4412 for the tip due to its very high lift capabalities. This tip airfoil has very high lift capability w/o washout but even with 2 degrees of washout it still gains alot of lift, so i don't think i can go wrong with it.

Props4ever 08-15-2006 11:06 PM

Today i made nose section of the Connie and fixed up the crooked tail section. This basically took whole evening as there were alot of care given to nose and aft fuselage sections. Now since the fuselage is basically done, my next step is to make new templates for the root wing cord and attach against the craddle of center fuselage section and cut out the wing saddle in the fuselage. Carl told me to add 4 degrees of incidence to the wing...so i will do this by using my incidence meter....

HalH 08-16-2006 06:38 AM

Lets see some pictures !

Props4ever 08-16-2006 10:10 AM

Hi Guys,

I know everybody is eager to see the pictures including myself, but i haven't got them as yet from my buddy, as soon as i get them i'll post them here....

Sammy

aerowoof 08-16-2006 10:46 AM

that 4 degrees of incidence in the wing is going to require alot of down trim.most multi engine plans have 0-1 positive incidence even the don smith plans of the b-17,b-29,connie show +2.5 degress.

Props4ever 08-16-2006 11:02 AM

Now i am confused!, Carl with mega L749 Connie said to put 4 degrees on Incidence but you are saying 0-1 degree of incdence. Now i don't know what to do....Carl's Mege Connie is enlarged from Don Smith plans so i don't know why would he mis-guide me on this...

Sammy

aerowoof 08-16-2006 05:26 PM

sammy,I just dug out my don smith connie plans and they show +1.5 degrees of incidence.maybe the larger model required more incidence dur to power vs weight issues.you could comprimise and go with 2.75 degrees but I know that the connies built from his plans do fly well as drawn

Props4ever 08-17-2006 12:26 AM

Aerowoof,

I called Don Smith today, he is such a nice and helpful person, he spend good 1/2 hr with me answerind all my questions and with good explinations too, he said his plans calls for follwing:

+2 degree of incidence on the wing

0 degree of incidence on H-stab

0 degree of incidence on engine mounts

-2 degree of washout on wing tips.

He used scale airfoils on his model and they work great even for models, so now with these questions answered i am now on my way again, as for diehedrial he said its roughly 70% of the vertical diameter of the fuselage!.....one of my questions was the angle of the cockpit windshield from the base line of the nose, he said it was 60 degrees!, you know what he is 100% right as i measured same from numerious o side view pictures of the L-1049 Connies on the web....

Props4ever 08-17-2006 12:30 AM

ORIGINAL: aerowoof

you could comprimise and go with 2.75 degrees but I know that the connies built from his plans do fly well as drawn
After talking to Don i am satified to go with +1.5 degrees on the main wing of my Connie, this also due to smaller size and lighter weight then both Don's and Carl's models.....

aerowoof 08-17-2006 03:49 AM

good deal.did not purposely try to confuse you but did not want you to make a mistake either.

Props4ever 08-17-2006 10:14 AM

Last night or lets say earley this morning i finished building both outer fuel tip tanks for the Connie, i made one from blue foam with laminating 4 x 1"x 19" sheets togather and sanded them into right shape by eyeballing, it turned out preety good, then i did other one by laminating 2 x 2"x19" white foam sheets and followed same procedure as with blue one, it also turned out ok but blue one is bit havier then white one!......

aerowoof 08-17-2006 03:21 PM

since the tip tanks serve no structural purpose you could cover them with 2 layers of 6 oz fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin.then after the epoxy cures.sand smooth and give another coat of epoxy thinned a bit with alchol,sand smooth again,then drill a hole in the end or side where it will attach to the wing and fill with acetone to dissolve the foam and just leave the hoolow sheels,should save you quite a bit of weight.

Props4ever 08-17-2006 04:05 PM

Aero,

Sounds like good idea and practical too, i will epoxy/resin these tip tanks one of these days but will not be able to attach to the wings till they get cored out and sheeted....I will let you know once i get the wing cores cut....

Props4ever 08-17-2006 08:55 PM

I added balsa block 3"x 3" to foam nose piece and sanded it into redome shape, i also had to add small piece of balsa fillet and bit of balsa filler, once its completely dry out than i'll sand it smooth into nice radar nose cone....

Props4ever 08-18-2006 01:25 PM

EC-121Connie,

I need some pictures of the all 3 landing gear bays, i will be cutting landing gear bay slot in the nose section to mount retract rails. Let me know if you can get these pictures for me from the Museum's EC-121.....

Props4ever 08-18-2006 08:57 PM

Aero,

I just sent ya PM, pls check...